Comcast Commercial

I remember seeing a commerical for Comcast a few months back with Jessica Simpson as her character from Dukes of Hazzrard. She mentions a feature to the package that is being advertized, and says that she doesn't even know what that means, but she wants it. The commercial puts across the message that women are stupid and buy things that don't understand what they products they buy do, nor does it matter. I thought that this commerical was relevant to the class because of the way it portrays women as stupid and gullible.

A Girl Like Me...

This video makes me think...
- that we still have a long way to go in erasing racism from our society
- i cannot believe that the studies still had the same results as years ago - it's just sad!
- that this world is really a sad one, all the internalized oppression that is still going on today is horrible
- the media as a lot to do with oppressing and helping people internalize oppression

This video makes me...
- feel the pain of years of internalized racism
- cry when the young beautiful girl was conflicted about which doll looks like her or which one she wants to associate herself with
- sigh with just being tired of social injustice and wanting racism to be over and done with
- wonder which doll I would have chosen

Kanye's Workout Plan...

This video makes me think...
- Kanye sings about the hypocrisy of gold diggers, but I wonder what kind of women are flocking around him night and day
- Why is that a fat, old, ugly man can have all the beautiful women, as long as he is rich and famous, but the double standard dictates that old, bigger, and not so pretty women definitely does not get to roll around with beautiful men – even if she is rich, there she is still not has “cool? compared to a man.
- Who wants to be a video girl? How do you get in a position that you are willing to sell your body to be the woman of the day for a rapper or actor's entourage...it's demeaning
- I understand what Kanye is trying to say about trophy wives, but I want to know where the hell are his songs and videos are pointing out the hypocrisy of men. What now, Kanye?
- I think that this song trivializes everything that women go through: For example, trying to support a child, a family, fighting for self confidence, going against the media and the negative body images they present and competition against other women which is in no way productive to anyone.

This video makes me...
- laugh. The whole process of making yourself grade A 'le boeff" (name of Parisian girl in the video, which means "the beef") is down-right ridiculous
- annoyed at the double standard for men and women, especially as portrayed in the media
- wonder why Kanye's videos and songs such as 'gold digger' and 'workout plan' address issues in a way that targets women in such a negative light but never men. How is it always a woman's fault
- annoyed at Kanye

Be A Mindsticker...

This video makes me think...
- If I am to be a “mindsticker? I have to have a shape he can’t forget
- That guy is so creepy! Like a stalker he watches her from afar
- A perfect shape is like an tab bottle. Hmmm..I can drink sugar-free, great tasting cola and use the bottle as a measurement for how my body should look. After all, when he is away I want him only to be thinking of me. Bullshit.
- That woman isn’t really playing tennis, she is just walking around looking pretty in her really short tennis dress…

This video makes me...
- almost glad I didn't grow up then, granted, it was a simplier time...but still...
- wonder why it is her fault if he cheats on her. If she didn't have the perfect shape is it okay for his mind to wander?
- tired of sexism
- annoyed with how advertisements like this are still visible today in our media, just a little more subtle, but still

Listen

This video makes me think...
* of all the times men in my life told me what to do and what to think and how to do things
* that sometimes I really do feel all alone and that no one will listen to me, and if I do speak, I can't help but be passionate and emotional about it which is not okay to the men in my life and that frustrates me
* that my daughter will not have this problem - I will make sure of it
* that sometimes I am helpless and can't say what is on my mind because of internalized oppression and I hate it!
* the reason I identify with this song so much is that sometimes I really am not at home in my own home. I come home thinking I am safe and put my defenses down, but no, have to keep those walls always up - you never know where the comment, "Man up!" or "stop being so emotional - it makes you weak!" comes from. It just kills me inside that my own brothers - the three men in my life who I love the most and really look up to would say something like that to me.
* Why is emotion so bad? It is just another level of communicating with someone...I don't get why it is disgraceful
* my crossroads are: 1) either close myself off to the comments and just keep silent, because that is a woman's place or 2) share my emotions, thoughts, opinions and be labeled a 'femi-nazi' or a 'lesbian.' Because, after all, what am I fighting for? Women can vote! The war is over...I am 'fighting for nothing.'

Listen I am alone at a crossroads I'm not at home in my own home And I've tried and tried To say whats on my mind
There was someone here inside Someone I thought had died So long ago Oh I'm screaming out And my dreams will be heard They will not be pushed Aside or turned

This video makes me...
* cry with regret that I had to fight so hard to gain control of my life
* bitter because I am not in total control of it
* sad that the men in my life, some of who I love deeply still don't understand, respect or listen to me
* hopeful that maybe one day I will find my own voice...my own complete voice...one that is all mine
* conscious of all the work I have to do to get over my bitterness and to use my experience to continue to grow and improve myself
* simultaneously tired with having to fight every battle because of my two strikes, (being a woman, and being a Woman of Color) and passionate to continue the fight - because I have to do it for my sister, my daughter, my future generations.
* wonder what it would be like if I didn't have to go through my experiences? what would I be like? my experiences cause me to grow, but the journey, it is so painful and heartbreaking. It would be nice to have the choice to step back from the war every once-in-a-while...

But now I got to find my own - my own

To wear Hibjab, or to not wear Hijab...

This video me think...
* of my Christian friend who lives in Pakistan and has to lie about her religion everytime she leaves her house and all her problems with her father that she has had
* uh, I wonder why a man is speaking about a Muslim woman's choice, "you know what I am saying?"
* I do like the whole idea behind the Hijab - a person looks at another based on their mind or personality versus their outward appearance. I also like the arguement that there is a double-standard: Nuns vs. Woman who wear Hijab - why is the later viewed as oppresson?
* of all the ways religious practices, rituals, customs, and strongly suggested rules are oppressive of woman
* that people are relgiious when it is convenient...it is so funny!
* think of all the American feminists, documentaries, and the US media, that feature Arab woman as oppressed and Islam as a negative relgion

This video makes me...
* laugh at the small truths in this video: I have totally witnessed women who choose to wear their Hijab inappropriately or incorrectly.
* wonder what I would do if I lived in a household or country that required or strongly suggested that I wear a Hijab
* agree with the author of this video - there is a difference between culture and religion and I hate that most people confuse one with another or insist that both go together
* ponder on whether or not Islam is oppressive of women, or Christianity for that matter
* consider the difference between culture and religion and it's affect it has on American feminists - viewing Islam as oppressive or Muslim woman as oppressed, maybe it is just a different culture? or maybe we should not judge...we have our own oppressive vices here in America, who are we to say another culture is wrong? But what if it is oppressive...? I am really at a crossroads here. I was raised experiencing four religions: Christian (me), Muslim (dad's side), Jewish (godparents, best friends, community, etc...) and Hindu (mom's side). Which is right? Are they all going in the same direction?

Prussian Blue: The Olsen Twins of the White Nationalist Movement

img alt="prussian_blue2.jpg" src="http://blog.lib.umn.edu/khanx089/mediajournal/prussian_blue2.jpg" width="300" height="300" />

prussian-blue-brats.jpg

So these two blond-hair, blue eyed girls: Lamb and Lynx Gaede sound like the most naive and sad little girls ever! They are brainwashed by their mother, who exercises her right to teach her daughters at home, by instructing them that the holocaust didn't actually happen and that the best thing they can sing about is keeping their race pure. I love how they identify with the Nazi swastika, when the original use of a swastika dates back to being used by people of color – Indians, American Indians, Mayans, etc… I looked up their lyrics and some of their music videos and found a lot of odd little underlying characteristics that I wasn’t expecting. They epitomize all things beautiful, in varying shades of white and use darker colors and blackness to symbolize evil and malevolent. Ironically, their voices don’t match their angelic faces; their voices sound like grating nails on a steel board. Maybe it was that I have a general disdain for the meaning behind their music or I am apprehensive about what it is that these young ladies will do when they “enter the real world? and realize that the world, really isn’t the place they were brought up to think it was. I just didn’t like their music, their lyrics, their voices, or their mother...but hey, who said this little review was supposed to be objective? :-)

Continue reading "Prussian Blue: The Olsen Twins of the White Nationalist Movement" »

Drama

Drama by R. M. 7:38pm Saturday, Mar 3 2007

"Drama. It can mean passion, anger, confusion, and pain. It can be a club at school or a frustrating situation. I am choosing to address the type of drama that people experience negatively on a daily basis.

I think we can agree that a good amount of drama is instigated by those who are females. Although many females will admit this, I expect backlash from those who are too drama-oriented to accept the truth.

I have met many different types of women. There are those who can be around guys and just fit in, not seeking to be the center of attention or any attention at all. Then there is the polar opposite, the girl who takes everything you say the wrong way, twists it around and uses her limited, but well practiced, vocabulary to make your head spin.

I decided to make an equation for all of those guys out there are sick of dramatic women. Look at any girl, and run her through this:

C(M)=x

First, you evaluate how much clothing the girl is wearing. The less, the higher value C will be. Rate it on a level of 1-10. If she's wearing jeans and a tee, give her a 2-3 depending on how tight the jeans and tee are. If there is belly showing, add a point. If she's wearing a mini skirt and halter top, give her at least an 8.

Second, you evaluate how much makeup the girl is wearing. This is tricky because select few women are makeup artists, but they will be thinned out because they usually wear a decent amount of clothing. If the girl is wearing a little foundation and discrete eye-liner, give her a 1-2. If she looks like a stripper (as many girls do these days) she deserves a 9 or 10.

Run these numbers through the equation, and if the girl scores more than 70, stay clear. She will only bring confusion and anger to your life."

Continue reading "Drama" »

Pro War?!

One day I came across a pro-war group while browsing Facebook. I was intrigued and decided to investigate further, and upon doing so, I came across these three images that stood out ot me the most.

n10006770_34036874_9905.jpg
* Did the creator of this image purposefully mis-spell Koran and force and mis-use resort? I guess I didn't appreciate this image at all. I do support "our men and women" over in the Middle East but there needs to be a point in time where "some people" realize that the majority of Afgan / Iranian / Pakistani / Egyptian soldiers are just fighting to protect their country as well.

n10006770_34036875_158.jpg
*Where in the Koran does it say that women are forbidden from receiving an education? I think this is a big indicator of the strong impact that the misuse of culture plus religion that has infiltrated our society. I won't deny that some Muslims have misused Islam to perpetuate their oppressive culture and some people of Arab descent have termed some cultural habits as religious rules...it's annoying! It has caused so much confusion and stereotypes that really hurt everyone!

n10006770_34036876_402.jpg
* Yay! I love the exotification of my culture! This picture is SO accurate, because you know Afgani people travel via magic carpet ALL the time! So this picture is so accurate in it's portrayal of the US military forces versus the Middle East armies - It's unfair, is what it is!

Rape Only Hurts If You Fight It...

“Rape Only Hurts If You Fight It? by John Petroski

Most people today would claim that rape is a terrible crime almost akin to murder, but I strongly disagree. Far from a vile act, rape is a magical experience that benifits society as a whole. I realize many of you will disagree with this thesis, but lend me your ears and I’m sure I’ll sway you towards a darkened alley.

If it weren’t for rape, Western Civilization might not exist as we know it today. When the Romans were faced with a disproportionate ratio of women to men in the early kingdom, they had to do something, lest their flidgling society die for lack of sons. To solve their little dilemma, they did what any reasonable man would do: they threw a festival for their Sabine neighbors, and then stole and raped their women. It’s quite logical; in fact I don’t understand why the settlers at Plymoth didn’t do the same to the local Indians–it certainly would have saved on shipping costs.

Obviously, in the case of the Rape of the Sabines, rape was a tremendous help to society. The Sabine women, for their part, didn’t seem to mind so much, as they threw themselves between their brutish old Sabine husbands and their charming new Roman ones to prevent bloodshed when the Sabine men came to reclaim their wives. Yet even when society was totally against a rape, the raunchy act has benifited society too. Where would the Romans be, after all, if it weren’t for the Rape of the Lucretia infuriating the people to the point of overthrowing their last king, Lucius Tarpuinius Superbus? If it weren’t for that event, the world might have never had the Roman Republic for a pristine example of a flawless government.

Rapes glorious advantages are not, however, exclusively found from 2,000 year old examples. In actuality rape advantages can very much be seen today. Take ugly women for example. If it weren’t for rape, how would they ever know the joys of intercourse with a man who isn’t drunk? In a society as plastic-conscious as our own, are we really to believe that some man would ever sleep with a girl resembling a wildebeest if he didn’t have a few schnapps in him? Of course he wouldn’t–at least no self-respecting man would–but there in lies the beauty of rape. No self respecting man would rape in the first place, so ugly women are guaranteed a romp with not only a sober man, but a bad boy too; and we all know how much ladies like the bad boy.

Ugly women are not, however, the only people who benefit from rape–prisoners enjoy as many perks too. What, after all, could be possibly be more boring than spending years of your life confined to some tiny cell 23 hours a day? The answer, of course, is spending years of your life confined to some tiny cell 23 hours a day and never getting some hot action. With rape, prisoners never have to worry about that. Instead, they merely need worry about treating their rapist with enough love and respect to earn a quick reach-around.

But if there is one bread and butter reason for why rape should not only be accepted, but even endorsed, it is because our news editors are in dire need of interesting stories for our front page. Bookstore stories? Fossils? One dollar coins? Please. Now, some saucy circle-jerk rape

Continue reading "Rape Only Hurts If You Fight It..." »

"at an impasse..."

* What a bitch! She makes me so mad! And she is so confident about her slur usage, it pisses me off!
* She looks like she is so fucking pleased with herself, I could slap her!
* I think she just says what she says to get attention, I am angry that she used the word 'faggot,' but even more angry at her self-confident childish ass!
* Hey! Her stupid crazy comments are assuring the Democrats of winning in 2008, I mean, if this doesn't what else will? She is making like P.Diddy in 'Rock The Vote' and really just ruining the chances for the side she is actually fighiing for.
* Political correctness does stifle authentic speech and a safe space, but only if those two things have created and it is understood that, that is what it is
* Even if she didn't mean any harm by her childish attitude, she still hurt and offended people, it isn't the intent we need to focus on, or else we are just victimizing the aggressor...which is not what is suppposed to happen.
* I hate Fox news, their coverage of this incident is so biased and one-sided, if I were to only watch them, I would totally be brainwashed
* So Ann says that her use of the word was to invoke a school yard taunt....hmmn...since when is she 12 years old and since when is the Republican convention a school yard? GRRR!
* How is faggot NOT offensive to Gay people? Ann makes me ashamed to be a woman almost, she sets us back hundreds of years...and it doesn't help that she is blonde - people will immediately fall back on the dumb blond jokes.
* So is Ann saying that he is a 'pussy' or a 'girlie-man?' if she is not calling him derogatory word? It still think it's wrong...the word doesn't really hold a lot of meaning for me because I am heterosexual, but I feel for my gay friends. She used the word inappropriately, in a professional arena and wasn't professional at all. It isn't the word really to me, it's how she said it and where she said it - that is what makes me mad!

Beauty without makeup

I was reading a recent issue of People magazine and it was about the most beautiful people of 2007. The very first section showed photos of stars like Drew Barrymore, Jessica Biel, and Eva Longoria without makeup and showing that they're still beautiful even without the makeup. I think ti's sad that us women need to feel like we're beautiful and have products that cover up our true look .. they didn't have makeup through the 1800s or so .. so why now? The standard of beauty has gone up and so has the competition to look even more attractive to the male eye. I just found it rather funny and sad. Amazing how we have to buy so many things to make us feel like we're worth looking at.

Well, that's one way to sell jeans...

jeans1.jpgjeans2.jpgjeans3.jpgjeans4.jpg

Continue reading "Well, that's one way to sell jeans..." »

Are they like YOUR family?

I watched Brothers & Sisters the other day and thought about how interestingly they portrayed the family. This Walker family is claimed to be a modern American family. The family is composed of Nora and William, the parents of Sarah, Tommy, Kevin, Kitty and Justin. I enjoyed watching this show because of the seemingly chaotic family. It made a crazy family back home seem normal. This show contrasts many of the family shows that I grew up watching.

Continue reading "Are they like YOUR family?" »

Interesting...

I came across this while doing my daily celebrity blog search. What do you think of this?

Former MTV producer Terrance Dean has written a memoir titled Hiding in Hip-Hop: Confessions of a Down Low Brother in the Entertainment Industry, which will chronicle "the author's life as a closeted homosexual working in the film and music industry and his relationships with other closeted homosexuals—film stars, rap artists, and music producers," according to RadarOnline.com.

A spokesperson for the publisher told RadarOnline.com that the book will not name Dean's closeted exes but that they will be easy to identify, adding, "Let's put it this way—you'll know who they are. It's a no-holds-barred look at Hollywood and hip-hop and who's living on the down low."

Dean is the founder of a New York nonprofit group called Men's Empowerment that works to help men of color. The book was reportedly sold to Atria last week and should be released next year. (The Advocate)

menarebetterthanwomen.com

I stumbled upon this site because my friend had a facebook group called “women suck? which was a joke. Someone had left a comment on the wall of the group about the website www.menarebetterthanwomen.com. This is a website for men to bitch about women for no reason. Women are supposedly not allowed at this site. They even have t-shirts and things that you can buy with their logos on it some of which are just decapitated women’s restroom symbols. I just thought it was ridiculous that someone would actually make an entire website about this. Some of the articles are kind of funny but I think people are taking them too seriously since there are serious fights going on in the comment sections. Some of the articles include “feminism is stupid?, “every women is a cheating whore? and “space…the male frontier?

Transgender 20/20 last week

Last week ABC's 20/20 did a show on transgender youth and the stories these three children shared were so powerful that my coworkers are still talking about them. Quickly after I mentioned this class and the final presentation my group and I did on transgender and intersex individuals they urged me to include some of these stories or clips into the presentation. Due to timing, here are the text stories from all three children and a link to 20/20's website if you want to view clips of the episode aired 4/28

abc_2020_riley_070424_ms.jpg
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3072518&page=1
ht_2020jeremy_070425_ms.jpg
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3077906&page=1
abc_transgender2_070427_ms.jpg
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3088298&page=1

And ABC's website if you want to watch clips http://abcnews.go.com/2020/

Price on Love?

I was sent this article by a friend this morning. What has our world come to! This disgusts me.

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AP) -- The government has ordered an Internet auction site to remove an advertisement in which a Brazilian man offered to sell his wife for about $50.

The Secretariat of Public Policies for Women announced late Friday it had ordered Mercado Livre, partially owned by eBay Inc., to remove the ad and warned it was violating a law banning the offer or sale of "human organs, people, blood, bones or skin."

The advertisement was no longer visible on the site Saturday.

It was posted by a man who gave his name as Breno and said: "I sell my wife for reasons I prefer to keep short ... I really need the money."

The described his wife physically and listed her qualities as a homemaker and companion. He reportedly said she was 35 and "worth her weight in gold."

The Estado news agency said it wasn't clear if the ad was meant as a joke. It said Mercado Livre told it the ad hadn't been noticed earlier because of the large number of products offered on the site -- nearly 1 million.

There was no answer Saturday at phone numbers for Mercado Livre or its public relations agency.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/05/05/wife.sale.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Racism and Young Children

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/show_recaps/yesterday_recap.html

On Wednesday May 2, 2007, Tyra's show was titled "Focus on Race:Kids and Race". Children were asked to look at photographs of different races and state what they thought about them. The results were surprising. Every one of the kids exhibited some form of racism. A body image expert talked about how these children's opinions are based on things that they are exposed to at home. Their views are actually reflections of their home lives.

Continue reading "Racism and Young Children" »

Unbelieveable...Integrated Prom in Georgia

View image

So many of you may have heard about this on the news but I have been under my nursing school rock and just read this tonight. Apparently this high school in Georgia had its first integrated prom! I guess I didn't realize that there were places still in the U.S. that had a white prom and black prom (or white and black anything)
AND the crazy part was that it took a majority vote of the students to make it happen, the faculty and teachers haven't made the decision to bring all the students together, it took the students to bring them together and start a "new tradtion"...duh? most of the country has been doing this for many decades.

"I've asked, 'Why can't you come?' and they're like, 'My mommy and daddy -- they don't agree with being with the colored people,' which I think is crazy," she said. A quote from a white girl that attended the prom.

Just unreal...says alot about south Georgia...but hopefully this will bring some change for the school and the community since they are apparently behind the times.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/23/turner.prom/

"Nigger-Brown" sofa

Read the article HERE

Tonight on PBS - on Hip-hop, Sexism and Misogyny

BBR_revisedITVSbanner_2.jpg

ABOUT THE FILM
HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes takes an in-depth look at representations of manhood, sexism and homophobia in hip-hop culture. This groundbreaking documentary is a "loving critique" of certain disturbing developments in rap music culture from the point of view of a fan who challenges the art form's representations of masculinity. Leading hip-hop figures, including Mos Def, Busta Rhymes, Talib Kweli, Chuck D., Russell Simmons are interviewed—and pressed—to answer some difficult questions about the violent and sexually explicit content of many hip-hop songs and videos. HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats and Rhymes premieres on the Emmy Award-winning PBS series Independent Lens on February 20, 2007.

BEYOND BEATS AND RHYMES websites:
itvs.org/outreach/hiphop/
myspace.com/beyondbeatsandrhymes
www.pbs.org/independentlens/hiphop/

Continue reading "Tonight on PBS - on Hip-hop, Sexism and Misogyny" »

Al Franken is running!

I was sent this earlier this week!

Check it out!!!

"Transgender Kids" Tuesday on Tyra

Tuesday, February 20th
Channel 9 at noon
Oxygen Channel at 11pm

"Transgender Kids"

tyra_trans.jpg

Tyra shares the incredible stories of young kids who were born one gender, but in their hearts and minds identify with the other. She examines the toll it takes on their parents and their self-esteem as they try to fit in a world of cruel people that don’t understand them. Tyra speaks with one mother and her 13-year-old daughter, who is actually living as a boy, and celebrated the monumental change with a “Transition Party.? He also confronts his father, who flew in from Italy, about his unwillingness to accept that his daughter has transitioned into a boy. Then, Tyra speaks with a 16-year-old girl who longs for the day she can fully transform into a male and her mother who is struggling with her life-changing decision. Plus, a young man who made the transition from female to male shares the emotional story of how a letter he wrote to his father changed their relationship forever. Tyra also speaks with two transgender teens about the difficulties they face in their daily life.

Watch a promo video at http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/

Tampa Bay Rape Victim Arrested

Hey All -
I have been watching this case the last day or two and there have been blogs on if from both feministing and Bitch Ph.D.. From their sites, you can access news sites that discuss the case as well. On the feministing site, there was a follow-up piece posted on how to take action and contact the sheriff's office to protest. The site is an action page from Planned Parenthood. You can also read my blogs on the subject here. If the UPDATE blog isn't functioning properly, I apologize in advance, but it might just be my whiny computer.