« FREE EVENT: 6/24 "Minnesota's Greatest Girls" Film Premiere | Main | My Friends Think I'm Picky ... »

The Piano as prequel

The Piano, while being a tremendously good film, is still, effectively, the unofficial prequel to Jurassic Park. It features Sam Neill as Alisdair Stewart, the great-great grandfather of Dr. Alan Grant of Jurassic Park, also played by Neill. Neill's character is stationed on a remote jungle island that will eventually come to be known as Jurassic Park, always running off to something (the dinosaurs, of course!). He locks Ada in not because of Baines, but rather to protect her from the now-rampant dinosaurs. He builds a fence (what for? The dinos!). Simply put, it all adds up. I was worried during my viewing of the film that Neill would die at some point because of his villainous nature, but fortunately for the sake of the Jurassic Park series, he was able to survive. And by the way I don't expect credit for this.

An old photograph of Stewart:
Sam Neill 1.jpg

His great-great grandson having apparently lost control years later:
Sam Neill 2.jpg

This is hilarious and quite clever. I'm definitely seeing the trend of connecting the plots of films starring the same actor. It's kind of like the next level of the Kevin Bacon game.

Anyone have other clever connections to make?

Loving this class!

I love finding little tidbits like this, although I've never discovered anything quite on this (Piano+Jurassic Park) scale before.

Usually I find (and usually via IMDb trivia) little bits that directors have put into their films as a tribute to either other directors/films or their own previous work. For example, Darren Aronofsky in "Requiem for a Dream" uses an orange in one scene to signify that danger is coming, a tribute to "The Godfather". (Darren Aronofsky also almost always has Clint Mansell and/or the Kronos Quartet write and perform the score.) Richard Linklater's "Waking Life" is full of tributes to other films: one character is wearing a "Slacker" t-shirt (another L.-directed film), the pinball game another character (played by L.) is playing is the same game as in "Dazed and Confused" (yet another L.-directed film), and Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke play the same characters as they did in "Before Sunrise" (a film written by L.)

However, sometimes I find that tidbits like these can be distracting if I have an idea that they might be there. I find it hard to get involved with "The Matrix" because I spend so much time looking for little surprises. Or, when I saw "Children of Men" in the theater, I totally lost my connection/concentration with the movie when I realized the view out the window in one scene was a replica of the album cover of Pink Floyd's "Animals" (that, and the score at the moment was "The Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson, and KC's vocalist went on to form one of my favorite bands, ELP), and in a few other scenes there is artwork/graffiti by the prominent British artist Banksy.

I'll give you credit for it. Shoot, I'm looking for credit with this comment. Seriously though (give me credit), this is quite funny and it is my goal to link movies together based solely on the actors, actresses, and story involved. I don't think looking into actual facts of intertextuality is as fun and definitely won't bear as much fruit as us making things up between films.

Poor actors and their roles that they can never seem to outrun...haha. I love this. I am however glad that I haven't seen Jurassic Park in some time and didn't think of it at all during the Piano. I'm not sure that thinking about dinosaurs would have helped me to analyze the film very effectivly.

This is a very interesting post. I had no idea that this had anything to do w/ Jurassic park. I don't know, like Kelsey Marie said, if it would have helped in the analysis of the Piano, since Jurassic Park is set in the future; but it's intersting to say the least.