« Ann Kaneko | Main | Julie Dash »

Safi Faye

View image

1.) Safi Faye (born 1943), the Senegalese filmmaker and ethnologist who has made her home in Paris, is the best-known woman filmmaker in sub-Saharan Africa. Safi Faye was born in 1943 in Fad Jal, Senegal, a village south of Dakar, where she made the ethnographic films that brought her international acclaim. Faye's documentary films on Senegal were related to her training as an ethnologist. She was interested in showing the real problems of people's daily lives from their perspective, an advantage she had as a member of the society she filmed. Safi Faye is acknowledged as one of the most accomplished women filmmakers in sub-Saharan Africa. However, because she has lived and worked in Europe, far more Europeans have seen her films than have Senegalese and other Africans.

2.) Faye made her first films in France. Revanche (Revenge; 1973), made collectively with other students in Paris, is about a madman who wants to climb the Pont Neuf, a bridge in Paris. She acted in her second film, La Passant (The Passerby; 1972-1975), about an African woman in France, which reflects in part the solitude she felt in Paris at that time. This film has a soundtrack of music and poetry, but no dialogue.
Kaddu Beykat (Peasant Letter; 1975), the first ethnographic film Faye made in Senegal, brought her international attention through film awards at FIFEF (Festival International du Film d'Expression Française), FESPACO (Festival Panafricain du Cinéma d'Ouagadougou), and the Berlin Film Festival and through receipt of the Georges Sadoul Prize in France. It remains her most widely reviewed and analyzed film.

Films as Director:
1972 La Passante (The Passerby)
1973 Revanche (Revenge)
1975 Kaddu beykat (The Voice of the Peasant)
1979 Fad'jal; Goob na ñu (The Harvest Is In)
1980 Man Sa Yay (I, Your Mother)
1981 Les âmes au soleil (Souls under the Sun)
1982 Selbé et tant d'autres (Selbe and So Many Others)
1983 3 ans 5 mois (Three years five months)
1984 Ambassades nourricières (Culinary Embassies)
1985 Elsie Haas, femme peintre et cinéaste d'Haiti (Elsie Haas, Haitian Woman Painter and Filmmaker); Racines noires (Black Roots)
1989 Tesito
1996 Mossane

3.) I was not able to view any of her work on-line and unfortunately I don’t think Faye has her own homepage (because I couldn’t find it).
4.) I actually found Safie Faye through an introduction of women’s work on movies about the third world and globalization and so I decided to click on her name. I read a couple of her profiles and thought she was extremely interesting.
5.) Because Safi Faye is pretty well known, it was pretty easy to find information on her through the internet; however, I couldn’t find any link that would direct me to any of her films.

Hello Guru, what entice you to post an article. This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

Hey it’s exhausting to find knowledgeable folks on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Regards Tatjana