« Jenni Olson | Main | black female filmmakers »

women of color

My first choice for a filmmaker of color was Tania Kamal-Eldin, because her work is really close to my heart. Her work is mostly about women in the Middle East, where I was born and raised. She is like me, Egyptian. I know we usually don't think of Middle Eastern people as people of "color" but they do have a different culture than the one we are used to; and since that they are located in mostly North Africa and western part of Asia; one can argue that they too are people of color. Tania Kamal-Eldin's work has been screened in several venues and festivals throughout the world. Her two videotapes "Covered: The Hejab in Cairo, Egypt" (made in 1995 and is 25 minutes) and "Hollywood Harems" (made in 1999 and is 24 minutes) both addressed women issues. Her film "Cairo Chronicles" (made in 2001 and 37 minutes long) was in the 2002 Women of Color Film Festival. The first one talked about wearing veils in Egypt and the second one took aim at Hollywood’s obsession and fascination with all things from the east. She is currently a lecturer at the University of California at San Diego in the Communications Department. She is also currently working on a personal essay documentary that takes place in Cairo, Egypt.