Recently in International News Category

Man releases snakes for revenge

A North Indian farmer released more than two dozen poisonous snakes in a tax office Saturday after government officials blackmailed him.

The Basti, India man was frustrated with corrupt government officials promised him deeds for land to keep his snakes. The officers blackmailed him by saying that they would follow through if he provided some money on his end , reported CNN.

Video showed cobras slithering on the floor of the building as people tried to capture them with nets.

Afghan woman forced to marry her rapist.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai freed a rape victim convicted of adultery on the condition that she marry her attacker.

Gulnaz said in government documents that she agreed to the marriage although she didn't want to marry the man, reported BBC News.

After she was raped, she was charged with adultery. Gulnaz talked about the unfairness of her accusations.

"At first my sentence was two years," Gulnaz told BBC News. "When I appealed it became 12 years. I didn't do anything. Why should I be sentenced for so long?"

Her eyes captured audiences on the cover of National Geographic 17 years ago, and today, her eyes still capture the soul.

Steve McCurry's photo of Sharbat Gula, a Pashtun, made an unexpected impact, reported National Geographic.

"I didn't think the photograph of the girl would be different from anything else I shot that day,"McCurry told National Geographic.

Today, her eyes burn with the same ferocity as they did in 1985, reported the National Geographic, despite war and peace.

Her hardships marked her face like postage stamps, reported the National Geographic.

"She has had a hard life," McCurry told National Geographic.

Greeks in support of new prime minister, poll shows

Three polls show majority support for new Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos.

The polls showed 79.1 percent thought his new roll would benefit Greece, reported The Wall Street Journal.

It was one of three polls conducted to see how the new prime minister faired against the public, after the crisis the country faced, reported The Wall Street Journal.

In another poll, 68 percent of Greeks believed in the "unity coalition," reported Reuters.

Not everyone had a positive outlook to the new change in government.

"I am not relieved at all that there's a new government," 53-year-old housewife Eleni Papageorgiou told Reuters. "I know only one things, no matter what government is top there, things will get worse for me rather than better."

Mogadishu attacks linked to Minnesota Somali man

Former University of Minnesota student was linked to suicide bombings in Somalia.

Abdisalan Hussein Ali was believed to kill himself on a suicide mission Saturday, reported the Minnesota Daily. The attack in Mogadishu reportedly killed 10 people.

Whether Ali was truly the attacker in Somalia's capitol remains questionable, reported MinnPost.

Friends of Ali told Minn Post that it doesn't sound like their friend.

The FBI is still trying to obtain DNA evidence, reported the Minnesota Daily.

Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega hopes to win a third term as president after the elections Sunday.

His previous terms as president have helped to solidify healthcare and education, reported Reuters

"He has helped the poor. Other presidents didn't do that," Managua law student Wendy Gonzalez told Reuters.

The 65-year-old was not popular with Western countries, reported The New York TImes

Pakistani militant case goes out with a whimper

A Pakistani militant accused of killing Shiites was released from jail due to political reasons.

Malik Ishaq killed 70 Shiites in 1997, reported the Star Tribune.

He was released because of his ability to negotiate with other militants in Pakistan, reported Dawn.com, Pakistan.

Officials warned the United States against this deal because it could bring an end in the country's attempts to make peaceful negotiations bet wen Afghanistan and Pakistan, reported Star Tribune.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the International News category.

Local News is the next category.