Assignment7

My archetypical product is a blanket and here are my top five ideas from last week:

• Greenhouse Solar Powered Tent Blanket
  • Smart Adaptive Blanket with Thermostat and Odor Sensor
  • Backpack Blanket
  • Fluffing Blanket
  • Multi-Layered Comfy Blanket

Pugh Chart

For this week's assignment, I started off by doing a Pugh chart (click on the image for an enlarged view):

Pugh Chart.jpg

The criteria I selected are as follows:

• Uniqueness and Competitive advantage were done based on bench-marking from existing products in the market and patents)

• User Preferences (rankings and feedback provided by survey respondents and interviewees)

• Whether or not the product is eco-friendly: Ideas 2 and 4 specifically may pose problems with disposal, according to this source. Even though Idea 5 might potentially use electronics, there is a trade-off here, in that it primarily focuses on harnessing solar power-- a renewable form of energy.

• Societal Impact (Trends circling these products were analyzed and the impact of launching this idea was assessed

• Price

The winner that emerged from the Pugh chart is Idea 5.

Name and Sketch of Product

The name given to this product idea is 'Solar Greenhouse Blanket Tent.' I felt the most important part of the name was the primary source of power. I then felt that the words Greenhouse and Blanket should be given emphasis, because of the warmth that the tent would retain.

Here is a sketch of the final idea (click on image for an enlarged view):
IMG_20131209_030835 (1).jpg

Video Pitch

Here is my 30 second video pitch for the 'Solar Greenhouse Blanket Tent': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqyFUGIaAY&feature=youtu.be

Assignment6

Part 1: Marketable

My archetypical object is a blanket.
I administered my survey early on Friday last week. Here is a link to it: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17jH5fWQDHntWWkgNiFJ4rvcCss_k6rdsl9-mQVnf1UY/viewform

I posted it on Facebook and also included a link to the survey in some forums.
Given below is a summary of 24 responses and some additional feedback.

Ideas #1-5:
Survey Responses 1.jpg

Ideas #6-10
Survey Responses 2.jpg

The last question in my survey was to pick the top five ideas from the list of ten.
Five Best Ideas.jpg

Part 2: Novel

Based on these responses, here are the top five ideas:

Greenhouse Solar Powered Tent Blanket
Slide1.JPG
This is yet another product that I found: http://www.examiner.com/article/camp-with-solar-tent-for-light-heat-recharge. Unfortunately, I could not find the price for it.
The opportunity here would be to create a product that might be cost-effective for campers/hikers.

Patent: Solar outdoor tent CN 202913766 U

________________________________________________________

Smart Adaptive Blanket with Thermostat and Odor Sensor
Slide2.JPG
Based on my research, I have not been able to find a product that combines a thermostat and odor sensor. This could be an opportunity.

Patent: Smart Adaptive Blanket Intelligent electric blanket CN 102327009 A

__________________________________________________________

Backpack Blanket
Slide4.JPG
Most of these have manifested in the kids market, there are very few products for outdoor travelers. Perhaps the opportunity here might be to introduce something to the outdoor traveler.

Patent: Blanket backpack US 20110088165 A1

Fluffing Blanket

Slide5.jpg

Patent: Nothing as far as I could see.

This was a very tricky one. I have not been able to similar product nor a patent so far. I will keep looking and update this section if I happen to find anything in the coming days.

Multi-layered Comfy Blanket
Slide3.JPG
As far as I could see, this seems to be common with baby blankets.

Patent: Convertible blanket US 20080250560 A1

Part 3: Feasible

This has been the most challenging part of the assignment, since some of these technologies are emerging and require in-depth research for integration into products. However, I have tried my best to identify some components and associated costs:

Greenhouse Solar Powered Tent Blanket
The major issue here lies in identifying a cost-effective way to harness solar power, which may be done in one of the following ways:
-Using a flexible solar panel is one way.
-Weaving solar technology (either with dyes or without dyes)
-Printing solar cells onto regular fabric seems like a promising solution. This seems efficient, less complex and cheaper, 3D printed solar cells can also capture more sunlight than conventional photovoltaic models. Purchasing a 3D printer would be a one-time investment.
-Using self-contained solar cells.
-Solar Flower is an open-source energy collector that can be made from salvaged materials. Depending on available resources it should take one to three unskilled people less than a week to build, and cost under $100.

Other costs involved include heating, supporting fabrics and components necessary for tent construction.

Factoring in the cost of fabric and electronics, a simple blanket with a thermostat and LED can be sold for $40.

The major issue here is to identify a way to integrate the odor sensor into the blanket. One way to do this is suggested here: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/427900/a-nose-in-your-clothes/
I have so far not been able to identify the price for this sensor.

Placement and housing of the circuitry is another issue.

Backpack Blanket
The major issue here is to identify a way to store the blanket fabric and to enable easy unraveling from side compartments. Factoring in the costs of the backpack, blanket fabric and trims, this can be sold anywhere between $30-70.

Fluffing Blanket
The major issue here is to figure out a way to enable automatic fluffing of the blanket. I need to identify a sensor that achieves this--perhaps a motion sensor. I am not clear with how much this would cost.

Multi-Layered Comfy Blanket
The major issue here would be to figure out a way to fasten the flaps that come together from both sides. Factoring in the cost of 3-5 fabric, insulation (wadding/batting cloth), seaming operations, fastener type, this could range from $30-70.

Assignment5

My archetypical object is a blanket and here are my interrogative problem statements:

#1: How might we achieve the right level of warmth, ventilation and minimize bad odor with a blanket during winter? (Ideas may cater to some or all of these functions. Since warmth relates to ventilation and ventilation in turn relates to bad odor, I had to club these into one question).

#2: How might we design a socially acceptable and portable blanket?

Part 1: SCAMPER
SCAMPER's idea spurring questions yielded some interesting results this week.

Substitute:
Can I change its color, roughness, sound or smell?
Some of my interviewees wanted the color of their blankets to be pleasing and to merge with their décor. So, I thought it might be nice to provide a bunch of layers with a set color palette or theme. The desired colored layer can be manually brought to the top and fastened with the help of a hook and loop fastener.
Layered Blanket.jpg

Combine:
What can be combined to maximize the number of uses?
This prompt triggered the idea of a poncho blanket, which can carry a tribal theme, a zombie theme, may be used as a winter coat or as a throw blanket.
Poncho Blanket.jpg

Adapt:
What ideas can I incorporate?
This motivated me to research on some cool and innovative blanket ideas. One such idea was the IM Blanky-- a responsive blanket that changes its 3D form according to the user's position, with the help of tilt switch sensors: http://www.ctvnews.ca/smart-blanket-monitors-you-while-you-sleep-1.802204
20131124_223053.jpg

Magnify:
Can I add extra features or somehow add extra value?
For this prompt, I came up with a blanket with heat-cum massage mitts and socks that the user can slide their hands and feet into.
20131125_014453.jpg

Put to other Uses:
What else can it be used for?
It could be used as a blanket-cum -wall hanging or as a blanket tapestry.
Blanket cum Tapestry.jpg

Eliminate or Minify:
Can I compact it or make it smaller?
For this prompt, I came up with a double colored blanket could be compacted into a cushion. This could potentially find applications in the living room or even in the car.
20131124_223114.jpg

Rearrange:
Are there other patterns, layouts or sequences I can use?
For this prompt, the 'Central Park Outdoor Blanket and Cooler Bag' served as an inspiration: http://www.skiphop.com/product/centralpark.html
20131124_233010.jpg

Part 2: Morphological Analysis
Since I added several rows of functional requirements, I thought the table might get too cluttered if I included diagrams.
Morphological Analysis.jpg

Here are the two sketches of Idea #1(blue) and Idea #2 (beige):

Idea #1: This blanket was inspired by window louvers and the concept of fluffing feathers in birds to keep warm. The fluffing of feathers is a biomimicry for insulation.
20131124_223038.jpg

Idea #2: This is a greenhouse- solar powered tent, meant for travelers. It is easy to carry around, read under, with attached LED lighting, and harness solar power.
Greenhouse Tent Blanket.jpg

Part 3: Manipulating Silly Ideas
The matchbox blanket from last week was a way to collapse a blanket to the size of a tiny matchbox. While this may seem silly at first thought, the essence of this idea carries a lot of significance. I think it's very similar to the concept of a portable cushion cum blanket, where the blanket is essentially folded into a cushion form, which may be used in a car or in the living room.

Part 4: List of 10 Ideas

Idea #1: Greenhouse Solar Powered Tent Blanket
Greenhouse Tent Blanket.jpg

Idea #2: Louver Blanket
20131124_223038.jpg

Idea #3: Backpack Blanket
Backpack Blanket.jpg

Idea #4: Pore'd Momo Blanket (the pores open and close like that of a 'momo'):
20131124_223019.jpg

Idea #5: Poncho Thematic Blanket
Poncho Blanket.jpg

Idea #6: Home Decor Layered Blanket
Layered Blanket.jpg

Idea #7: Smart Adaptive Blanket with Thermostat and Odor Sensor
20131125_011637.jpg

Idea #8: Tilt Switch Sensor Blanket
20131124_223053.jpg

Idea #9: Multi-Layer Comfy Blanket
20131125_013509.jpg

Idea #10: Blanket with warming and Massaging Mitts and Socks
20131125_014453.jpg

Assignment4

This week turned out to be very interesting for me and my friends who participated in the ideation session.

So, here's a little introduction of who's who:
IMG_20131102_232155.jpg

We started off by doing a fun warm-up activity which required each participant to draw one line at a time and to collectively name the picture at the end of every round. I could see that this livened up the atmosphere.
Drawing.png

Incidentally, during my interview last week, I asked my interviewees to imagine that I am their futurisitc blanket designer and that they were stakeholders. I asked them to provide some features of a futuristic blanket of their choice. I have described their responses briefly:

Interviewee 1: Thickening and thinning blanket with temperature sensor
Interviewee 2: Fluffing and layering, trap air and understand what the user needs.
Interviewee 3: Improve airflow, should prevent suffocation.
Interviewee 4: Multi-layered-multi-functional (a layer each for perspiration absorption, firmness and warmth)
Interviewee 5: User regulates temperature from under the blanket
Interviewee 6: Texture and comfort are important, customizable design to match with home decor, socially acceptable blanket.
Interviewee 7: Travel blanket --should be able to use from 15 to -10 deg C.
Interviewee 8: Should keep body warm, easy to wash and fold, lightweight, pleasing colors, separable layers.
Interviewee 9: Use while working, portable/mobile blanket.

Based on my last week's ethnographic interviews, I wanted to make sure my "how might we" questions addressed the specific issues that my interviewees had raised.

#1: How might we achieve the right level of warmth, ventilation and minimize bad odor with a blanket during winter? (I encouraged ideas that catered to some or all of these functions. Since warmth relates to ventilation and ventilation in turn relates to bad odor, I had to club these into one question).

I conducted three rounds of ideation, with each round running for 25 minutes. The first and second rounds involved ideation for the first and second questions. The third round was different in that I decided to conduct a 'thinking hats' round which required every participant to apply their technical expertise to come up with innovative solutions to these problems. These were put under a special category of 'techie blankets.'

A total of 52 ideas were generated and grouped into specific categories such as
as shown below:

Ideas- Collage.png

Here are the blown up images of each these categories:
1.Insulation View image and Onion Peel (layering) View image
2. Air Me! (Ventilation) View image
3. Aroma/Odor View image
4. Wash/Maintenance View image
5. Inconspicuous Blanket View image
6. Socially Acceptable / Transformable View image
7.Techie Blankets View image

Out of these, the top ideas were selected based on novelty and creativity. As a facilitator, the number of ideas I (the clothing technologist) generated was limited because I had to spend more time listening to the members of the group, stir discussions, guide and provide example ideas, mainly to encourage the group to think out of the box! :)

#1: How might we achieve the right level of warmth, ventilation and minimize bad odor with a blanket during winter? (8 Ideas were picked, since it's a relatively big category! View image) Please see below for the list of 8 ideas, and the corresponding images that I redrew based on the ideas that I had collected:

Stink-o-meter: This blanket measures the odor emitted from the blanket and alerts the user when washing is required--Software Engineer.
a.jpeg

Camp-Blanket: This blanket can be assembled into a tent, and has an in-built thermostat to control the internal temperature. Incidentally, this can also be considered as a socially acceptable blanket--Clothing Technologist.
b.jpeg

Blanket with weather monitor and thermostat: This blanket comes with a mobile weather monitor and temperature sensor. It shrinks when the ambient temperature is cold and expands when it's warm or hot. Bouncing off this idea, the group refined this idea and discussed as to how this can be in an internal and external environment. When used internally, it can be linked to the thermostat at home and when used externally, it can be linked to the weather monitor--Electrical Engineer.
c.jpeg

Smart Blanket : Includes a detachable printed circuit board with a micro-controller for temperature and odor sensing. A wash alarm and LED blinker is alerted when it's high time the user washed the blanket. Based on the inputs from these sensors, the sliding and layering of the blanket is altered--Electrical Engineer.
d.jpeg

Mind Control Blanket : Depending on the spikes in potential in certain locations of the brain, the blanket covers and uncovers different parts of the body and regulates temperature--Biologist.
e.jpeg

Pore'd : This is a sensor blanket, which is programmed to control the opening and closing of pores in the blanket--Software Engineer.
f.jpeg

Multi-Comfy Blanket: Includes multiple blanket layers on side flaps. The required number of layers from either side can be brought to the center and zipped together to form a sleeping bag--Electrical Engineer.
g.jpeg

Dynamic Blanket: Uses phase change materials to offer warmth and ventilation and a self-cleaning/anti-microbial finish--Architect.
h.jpeg

#2: How might we design a socially acceptable and portable blanket? (5 ideas were picked View image) Please see below for the list of 5 ideas and the corresponding images that I redrew based on the ideas that I had collected:

Backpack Blanket: The backpack has side and top compartments from which portions of the blanket can be pulled out to blanket the body. Typically, this can be used in a classroom setting--Software Engineer.
i.jpeg

Jacket-Blanket: This jacket can be transformed into a blanket by activating a button--Electrical Engineer.
j.jpeg

Match-box blanket : This blanket can be folded and fitted into a matchbox. The folding may be manual, or better still, automated. This makes it easier to carry around--Software Engineer.
k.jpeg

Superman Cape : This is yet another transformative blanket that can be converted into a cape--Architect.
l.jpeg

Live-in blanket : This is a blanket with extensions that can be fastened with velcro around your body--Electrical Engineer.
m.jpeg

It was interesting to see compare the user responses from last week's interviews and ideas from this week.

Assignment3

I set out to find out more about using blankets during winter through my ethnographic research.

I wanted to follow a simple interrogative process by which I could understand the experience, preferences and needs of my interviewees. I framed three open-ended questions:
1. What springs to your mind when you think of blankets in the context of winter?
2. What has your experience been with using blankets during winter? Have you faced
any problems while using blankets during winter?
3. Let us assume that I am a futuristic blanket designer and you are a
stakeholder. You would like me to design a blanket for you to use during winter. What
would your requirements be? (Please note that I have not included the responses from question 3 in this week's blog post. This will be included in next week's content).

Other leading questions:
I usually resorted to leading questions such as 'could you explain that further?' during these circumstances:
a) The interviewee provided a brief response that required further explanation
b) The interviewee uncovered something interesting that I could question further.

I interviewed three people from the apparel domain, since I realized that their technical knowledge would help in developing a good concept. The rest of the interviews were from people spread out in various regions where winters are known to range from moderate to severe.

I have summarized my interview responses below. I have organized the responses in the form of designation of the interviewee, evocation (the act of bringing something into the mind), issues and problem statement.

Interviewee #1
Designation: Professor, Apparel Design Program, University of Minnesota

Evocation: Cocooning, hibernating and cuddle up in blankets
Teaching class in spring studio- Wiesman Museum- we have dealt with how can we put blankets in clothing.

Issues: electric blankets- without weight. My husband grew up with heavy things-- heavy weight meant feeling good. It is a question of what the user is conditioned to. 3M - came up with the insulated lining- it was lightweight-- however, psychologically it did not induce the feeling of warmth initially--weight and how much you feel you're warm are related.

Interviewee 1 needs a way to ensure that her blanket provided psychological comfort, because she found that to be lacking in an existing blanket.

Interviewee #2

Designation: Undergraduate Student, Apparel Design, University of Minnesota.

Evocation: Cozy- couch/bed-hiding away from the cold--put a ton of blankets- like to snuggle--think of cats- drinking hot chocolate, watching holiday/ Christmas movies, mom made blankets for me.

Issues: Comfort - maintaining room temperature
--piling on a ton of blankets --restrictive in movement sometimes.

Interviewee 2 needs a way to ensure that her blanket provides optimum thermal regulation, because she has had a problem with maintaining thermal comfort.

Interviewee #3
Designation: PhD student, Apparel Merchandising and Design, Iowa State University

Evocation: Puppies

Issues: Some stinky ones .. a few years ago I was on this trip to a cold place....the hotel blankets reeked.

Interviewee 3 needs a way to ensure that his blankets don't stink, because he has experienced discomfort from using blankets that reeked.

Interviewee #4:
Designation: Computer Science Grad Student, University of Minnesota

Evocation: Wrapped up in a blanket with a romantic movie--lots of tissue paper in the side (to cry from all the emotion) -reading a book--I like to read/watch a movie under my blanket.

Issues: Suffocation when the head is covered. Because it's cold and sometimes bright, I would prefer to cover my head with a blanket-- all the same, I cannot suffocate under it. So, I mostly end up switching.

Interviewee 4 needs a way to be well ventilated in the head, because she has experienced stuffiness and suffocation from blankets.

Interviewee #5:

Designation: Biotechnology, Grad Student, Offenburg University

Evocation: When I first moved to Germany, i remember sleeping during my first day of winter with my dear heater not working and my landlord gave me towels and curtains to keep me warm ! so since then i got blankets esp winter blankets with a lot of fur for making me feel warm and cozy!

Issues: Problems like sweating sometimes because heater and the fur both make me feel hot on the inside ....sometimes it feels like as though I got out of the sauna.

Interviewee 5 needs a way to experience optimum thermal regulation under his blanket, because he has experienced extremes of temperatures from either being inadequately blanketed or overly blanketed.

Interviewee #6:

Designation: Biotechnology, Grad Student, University of Alberta, Canada

Evocation: Slumber under the cozy comforter.

Issues: Switching between a thin blanket and a comforter from temperature extremes.

Interviewee 6 needs a way to experience optimum thermal regulation under her blanket, because in cases of temperature extremes, she has had to swtich between her thin blanket and comforter.

Interviewee #7:
Designation: Human Factors and Ergonomics, Grad Student, University of Minnesota

Evocation: fuzzy, reading books by a fire, hot tea, cuddling

Issues:
STATIC!!!!! overheating (especially when sharing with another person), fuzz transfer to clothing, little fleece balls after washing the blanket, cold upper body and arms while working on my computer (I bought a snuggie to fix this), the blanket I keep in my car gets too cold so I never use it, and the fact that it isn't socially acceptable to bring blankets with me to class

Interviewee 7 needs a way to overcome static, overheating and fuzz transfer from her blanket because she has experienced discomfort from these issues.

Interviewee 7 also needs a way to use a socially acceptable blanket because she would like to be able to take it to her classes and use it.

Interviewee #8:
Designation: Electrical Engineering Grad Student, University of Minnesota

Evocation: Cozy, warm sleep inducing, comfortable. During cold times, I curl up in my blanket, read a book and drink hot tea.

Issues: Winters in Minnesota are very harsh that I wish my blanket would be warmer. I end up wearing an additional layer and socks especially before I go to sleep.

Interviewee 8 needs a way to ensure that her blanket keeps her adequately warm during Minnesota winters because she has had to wear additional layers under her existing blanket.

Interviewee #9:
Designation: Electrical Engineering Undergrad Student, University of Minnesota

Evocation:Hands being left out--being cold-- I wrap myself with at the end of the day. Something that I don't want to leave behind--going to be cold and will have to wake up.

Issues: Hard to carry around with you--I use a bathrobe--even that gets cumbersome. Either staying in bed and out freezing. I don't have the best circulation as well. Drags on the ground--gets caught on things

Interviewee 9 needs a way to feel warm while on the move because he either ends up staying in bed or is out freezing.

Summary of Evocations:

Slide1.JPG

Summary of Issues:
Slide2.JPG

These images were screenshots taken from the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gly9PLM9-hk
I thought it provided a nice overarching summary of the thermo-physiological comfort associated with using blankets:
Picture2.png

Use Sequence

Here is an interesting use sequence that caught my attention:
Picture3.png

Opportunities:

Incorporating blankets in clothing
Picture1.jpg

Observations:

I observed in some settings that people sat down with their blankets wrapped around their legs.
Picture5.jpg

Experience:

This is a picture of how I use my blanket. I observed how I swathe myself.
Picture6.jpg

Market Research:

Also, I found a market research of 9 throws from this link-- http://nymag.com/shopping/features/62640/
Market Research of 9 throws (ranked from 1-9)

Market Research.jpg

1. Faux-fur throw -So velvety warm you could couch-surf inside an igloo. One flaw: could be larger.
2. Down-and-fleece throw No-nonsense, survival-ready wrap takes you from 98.6 degrees to a raging furnace in seconds.
3. Waffle blanket Appealingly oversize, so you can swaddle yourself like a burrito--twice.
4. Donna Karan knit throw
Shed-free and ultrasoft; still, too lightweight for January cold snaps.
5. Cashmere cable-knit throw Looks and feels (and even smells a little) like a go-to winter sweater.
6. Synchilla blanket Essentially a Snuggie without armholes. Points for the "bonfire orange" hue.
7. Peacock stripe throw Scratchier than it looks. After a few minutes, you're itchy and covered in Technicolor fuzz.
8. Molteni Home throw Appealingly décor-neutral; good for drafty apartments.
9. Performance fleece blanket More like a flannel sheet than a blanket. It is cheap though.

Overall, I had several interesting takeaways from this. It was really an eye-opening experience for me.

Assignment 2

Part 1:
I started off this week's assignment by playing 'Words with Friends.' It is one of the leading mobile word that challenges players to create the highest scoring words-- very much like scrabble!

Words-With-Friends.jpg

I also watched a few scenes from the sitcom- Big Bang Theory.

Part 2:
For mind-mapping, I used www.bubbl.us, an online tool that helped me in exploring various themes connected with winter.

Here is a link to the map that I had created. Be sure to pan, zoom in and zoom out as required while viewing this: https://bubbl.us/?h=1b6f80/36d065/17PxXztf/.LRg

Here's a link to the final mind map with some images that I've shared via Skydrive--again, feel free to zoom in for clarity: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B9BCBE333969229!681&authkey=!AHoMBA9uMjKt-mU&v=3

Part 3:
I then started documenting my ideas onto my design notebook, using cross-products and association maps. Here are some silly ideas for winter clothing and accessories:

DSC04612 - Copy.JPG

Idea #1 Caribou Winter Hat:
DSC04600 - Copy.JPG

Idea #2 Mistletoe Scarf:
DSC04601 - Copy.JPG

Idea #3 Frostbite Boots:
DSC04602 - Copy.JPG

Idea #4 Slipping Soles:
DSC04619 - Copy.JPG

Idea #5 Holey Winter Gloves:
20131105_224122.jpg

Idea #6 Penguin Sleeping Bag:
DSC04614 - Copy.JPG

Idea #7 Christmas Deco Hoodie:
DSC04607 - Copy.JPG

Idea #8 Christmas Bell Earmuffs:
20131105_224324.jpg

Idea #9 Sheer Gauze Windchill Jacket:
20131105_230650.jpg

Idea #10 Invisibility Camouflage Winter Scarf:
DSC04617 - Copy.JPG

The three sub-themes that I selected were scarves, coats/jackets and blankets.
Blankets is the sub-theme that has been assigned to me.

Assignment 1

Hello! For this assignment, I started out by reviewing the key elements --novelty, value and feasibility, which are required to create an innovative recipe for success. I decided to create a no-bake 'milk fudge sunsign cookie!'

This is one of my ideation sheets in which I wrote out different ingredients and connected them together:
DSC04581[1].JPG

To start with, my guess was that most people would be trying to innovate with cookies that require baking. So, I thought I could try out something different.

I guess the whole sunsigns theme came into the picture because I was thinking of fortune cookies and sunsigns. ;)

I went through some baseline recipes for fudge cookies and decided to use milk powder, butter and condensed milk as my main ingredients. Here's a step-by-step narrative of my experience with photos:

Milk Fudge Sunsign Cookies

These are the ingredients that I used for making the milk fudge cookie base:
DSC04559 - Copy.JPG

Unsalted Butter (15 Tablespoons)
Condensed Milk (2 Cans, 400 grams each)
Milk Powder (3 Cups)
Cardamom Powder (1 pinch)

I started out by melting the butter in a cooking pan:
DSC04560 - Copy.JPG

I opened out the cans of condensed milk and mixed it with the butter:
DSC04563 - Copy.JPG

I then added milk powder to the mixture:
DSC04564 - Copy.JPG

I added in some cardamom powder and allowed the mixture to simmer in the stove:
DSC04565 - Copy.JPG

This was by far the most challenging part. I wanted to gauge the consistency of the mixture. I had to scoop parts of it in the wooden spoon and drop it down to see if it was "thick enough." I think this was where I was experimenting with several consistencies. I had to drop blobs of it onto a different plate as well.
DSC04568 - Copy (2).JPG

I let it cool down for sometime and tested out to see if it would get molded into some form:
DSC04569 - Copy.JPG

I then standardized the shape and size of the cookie with a cutter:
DSC04570 - Copy.JPG

I lined a tray with cling wrap and laid out the cookies flat:
DSC04571 - Copy.JPG

As with most fudge cookies, I decided to refrigerate this batch.

Here's the fun part-- I decided to use some Hershey's chocolate syrup to draw the sunsign symbols on the cookies. It was slightly time-consuming, but I really liked it:

DSC04575[1].JPG

Voila! This is what the cookies finally turned out to look like:
DSC04577 - Copy.JPG

After drawing the designs on, I put the entire batch into the refrigerator again.

For those of you that do not know which sign each of these symbols correspond to, take a look at this:
DSC04580[1].JPG

Novelty--The fact that this is a no-bake recipe and that it is inspired by the sunsigns theme.
Value--A toffee-like taste (and excitement for identifying and savoring one's own sunsign cookie perhaps ? ;) )
Feasibility- Definitely practical and more or less hassle-free.

Other combinations:
It might be interesting to eat these with wafers, chocolate chips and with strawberries.

Overall, this was a very interesting experience!

Recent Comments

• ramas043: Hi Zofia, Thanks for your feedback. Will a solar panel read more
  • kami0085: Your pitch is well done and informative. I'm very curious read more
  • juddx067: Your post is very well organized and has great hierarchy read more
  • ramas043: Thanks for letting me know. Just went in and changed read more
  • kami0085: I will leave more feedback later, but currently your video read more
  • kollm027: Your research as well as surveys seem to be done read more
  • kinjo001: I think your assignment is very well detailed. Especially in read more
  • lang0965: I think that you did very well on this assignment. read more
  • liux1218: Thanks for repeat your problem at the beginning of read more
  • lesc0053: The layout of your blog is fabulously refreshing to look read more

Recent Assets

• IMG_20131209_030835 (1).jpg
  • Pugh Chart.jpg
  • Slide3.JPG
  • Slide5.jpg
  • Slide4.JPG
  • Five Best Ideas.jpg
  • Survey Responses 2.jpg
  • Survey Responses 1.jpg
  • 20131125_013509.jpg
  • 20131125_014453.jpg