My archetypical product is a blanket and here are my top five ideas from last week:
- Greenhouse Solar Powered Tent Blanket
- Smart Adaptive Blanket with Thermostat and Odor Sensor
- Backpack Blanket
- Fluffing Blanket
- Multi-Layered Comfy Blanket
For this week's assignment, I started off by doing a Pugh chart (click on the image for an enlarged view):
The criteria I selected are as follows:
- Uniqueness and Competitive advantage were done based on bench-marking from existing products in the market and patents)
- User Preferences (rankings and feedback provided by survey respondents and interviewees)
- Whether or not the product is eco-friendly: Ideas 2 and 4 specifically may pose problems with disposal, according to this source. Even though Idea 5 might potentially use electronics, there is a trade-off here, in that it primarily focuses on harnessing solar power-- a renewable form of energy.
- Societal Impact (Trends circling these products were analyzed and the impact of launching this idea was assessed
The winner that emerged from the Pugh chart is Idea 5.
Name and Sketch of Product
The name given to this product idea is 'Solar Greenhouse Blanket Tent.' I felt the most important part of the name was the primary source of power. I then felt that the words Greenhouse and Blanket should be given emphasis, because of the warmth that the tent would retain.
Here is my 30 second video pitch for the 'Solar Greenhouse Blanket Tent': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqyFUGIaAY&feature=youtu.be