Answers to your questions

Actually,I was writting about race and religion, and I have had some problem in writting the religion. What was the main purpose of religion in the book?
Posted by: Hamze | October 3, 2007 10:23 AM
Hamze- My question will be directed back at you. What do YOU think was the main purpose of religion in the book? How did it affect James? How did it affect Ruth? What were the differences for Ruth between Christianity and Judaism? Did religion help Ruth and James? Hurt them? Both?

My biggest challenge is that i can't stick with only one theme. As i am writing my paper i see myself jumping in to another theme to make a connection for my essay.
Posted by: Omar Abdi | October 3, 2007 10:24 AM
Omar- This is a problem for all of us as writers. Remember that using detail is important, so whenever you are tempted to go on to another theme, ask yourself, “Have I discussed the current theme in enough detail? Have I included enough evidence to support my point? Are my ideas about this theme clear?� It’s better to talk about 1-2 themes in some detail than to talk about 4-5 themes only briefly.

so far, i had a few problems to find quotes for my essay and how to put those quotes into my essay. I am doing good with this assignment
Posted by: AQT_VIP | October 3, 2007 10:24 AM
An—When it comes to quotes, try to think about which ones really connect with the theme you’re discussing. Narrowing your thesis can actually help with this, because it will limit you in what you are looking for.
I'm still having trouble with thesis as i was before so my question is what can we do to improve are thesis?

I think the story is going well for me because I know what I'm writing about!!
Posted by: said | October 3, 2007 10:24 AM
Said—Think of your thesis as a sign for the reader. The sign says, “Hey, reader, this is what I will discuss!� In the thesis, you should state clearly the points that you plan to cover in your essay. Also, in class, ask me about Goldilocks.

For me, the biggest challenge right now is how to use the quote smoothly into my ideas. Some quotes are related to the theme I think of. Some are not. I have a lot of ideas to connect between the book and my personal life, but I'm not really sure about it. I might need some advice from you.
Posted by: kim | October 3, 2007 10:25 AM

Kim-- Thanks for coming in to talk. I think I addressed this, but if you still have questions, come see me!

How religion helped Mrs. Ruth when she encountered problems in her life?
Posted by: Hamze | October 3, 2007 10:25 AM
Good question Hamze—what do you think? How was Christianity different from Judaism? How did religion affect the way Ruth raised her family? What are some other questions like this?

Posted by: said | October 3, 2007 10:25 AM
Said—One tip: don’t start your thesis with “In my paper I will talk about…� That’s too informal. Also, make sure that your thesis includes all the points you plan to cover in your paper.

i am having a problem expressing my ideas in a long form. my ideas about my topic are very short. i am trying to be as specific as i can. my major question about this assignment is, what can we do to make the paper a five page essay instead of only two pages. so far for my first draft it's going good ..i tried to be as specific as i can and the furthest i went to is two pages.
Posted by: A-t | October 3, 2007 10:26 AM
A.T.—Good question! One thing that you might think about is whether your thesis is strong enough to support in some detail. I know you’re writing about maturity. So, try to ask yourself some questions like, “why is it important that James matured?� “Who/what helped him to mature?� “What examples from the text can I give to show his maturation process?� Always think about the details, and how they connect with what you want to say.

there are some stuff that held me from really writing my paper like my USB divice not working properly and that was really frasterating but i know what iam going to write about so it's not really a problem and the problem i have with my paper is i have too much CS and i seem to not know what it is clearly and i din't know how to fix it.
Posted by: abdi | October 3, 2007 10:26 AM
Abdi—The CS issue is one that I’ll try to bring up in class again, but if I don’t, that’s a perfect example of something we could talk about during office hours!

I think the challenges in papaper number two are new to me. I didn't write the thesis of the book. I has written many topic from my teachers not from the book. I concern with the quotes i the book. Do I use too much quotes? Do I summurary or tell the story? The way helps me do well is reading and go over the first darft then make some change and ask advise from Adam or Kelly.
Posted by: Shinny Pearl | October 3, 2007 10:26 AM
Think about it like this: Your thesis should reflect one major theme or influence from within the book, and in your essay you should discuss why you think this theme/influence is important. It’s your opinion, but you should back it up with evidence.

Paper 2 clearly requires an advanced quality and bringing up ideas that are going to make as focus on the book more. So far I've pulled some ideas and put it in my first draf. But relating it to the topic is kind of being a problem for now, not to mention I haven't chosen my topic yet. Plus I don't want to cover a large area of theme
Posted by: Mooj | October 3, 2007 10:29 AM
Mooj—You bring up an important point about coverage. Don’t try to cover too much, because if you do your paper will become too long, or you’ll be forced to sacrifice some detail. Try to be specific enough that you provide a clear sense of what’s important.

What is race? why did James want to know who he was? When he found it who he was, what advantage did he gain?
Posted by: hamze | October 3, 2007 10:29 AM
Excellent questions—what do YOU think?

The biggest challenge to me in writing paper #2 was since I took the issues addressed on the text, color of water I'm pretty limited to include on my personal ideas
Posted by: Daniel | October 3, 2007 10:30 AM
Daniel—That’s true, in a way. Think about it like this. You are including your ideas, in fact your ideas are very important. But it’s not your ideas about your life or experiences that you should focus on. Instead, concentrate on your ideas about how and why the theme from the book is important.

I don.t want my paper look like the book so, how should I fit more qoutes to my paper and avoid summrising.
Posted by: Mustaf Abdirahman | October 3, 2007 10:30 AM
Mustaf—Think about it like this—your ideas are the bricks in a wall, and the quotations are the mortar that holds the bricks together. The bricks are bigger and stronger, but without the mortar, they’ll just fall apart.

What I've Learned From Friday's Discussion.

From fridays discussion i learned that revange is not good. sometimes being the biggher person and letting things go is the smartest thing to do. if you're mad and if you want to revange some one real bad, you're going to do some thing you will regret later. and that is going to put you in a bad situation.

Another thing that i've learned is the importance of education. if you educate your self you will be what ever you want to be. you will be a successful person in the future.

Finally, another thing that i've learned is FORGIVING. no matter how bad some one upset's you, it's okay to forgive that person..it's also good to say i'm sorry and i love you. in return god will forgive you for the mistakes you make, and he will also love you.

september 24, 2007

On Friday, we diccussed on lot of things, but love is the best value that is important for James, Ruth and also me. Love is a reason why people should live. Money could buy everything, but it could not buy love. the love of Ruth for her children and her husbands is very strong. it is bored if we don't have love.

An Tran

sept. 24th, 2007

In my opinion, the value of education is the most important issue of all. Like the Chicken Man said you are nothing. If you just hangin around and do useless things, your entire life will be disaster and miserable. Without education, you may be get involve in some crimes and your future will be destroyed. If you are different from other people, education and knowledge will show to other who you are and outstanding. So you are not different from them in a bad way but in better way.

Choose a value that from Friday’s discussion that you feel is important not only for Ruth or James, but for yourself as well. Explain why it is important.

The value of friendship is priceless. As Ruth also describes in the book, when her husband died alot of Dennis's friends sent her money in the email. Also, they brought her food,clothes and other supplies as well. They visited her often and helped her in any way that they could help her.

As a young man, James seems uncomfortable because his mother is different from him. Why do you think that the issue of race is so important to James? Why isn't is so important to Ruth?

James feels uncomfortable around his mom because she don’t look like him and when he’s at the bus stop and she’s picking him up he feels ashamed. issue of race is so important to James because his own mom don’t look like him and people teasing him about his mom specially his brothers they keep telling him that he was adapted, for once he thought they where right so he waited for his mom to get out of work so he could ask If he’s adapted or not.

James is influenced by pear pressure and teases until he was well concerned for his race.

As a young man, James seems uncomfortable because his mother is different from him. Why do you think that the issue of race is so important to James? Why isn’t so important to Ruth?

I think it’s important to him because his town in separated and he thinks he doesn’t belong in with both groups, if he stayed with the white people then they will still call him the N word and if he goes to the black people then he is not fully one of them.

Question 3

Why do you think that Ruth was so unwilling to reveal her past to James and her other children? How did her refusal to discuss her life affect James?

Question 2

Question 1

Contrast Ruth's views toward Judaism with her views toward Christianity. How does she feel about each religion? Why does she feel this way?

Wednesday, September 13: Writing Response

For today's activity, choose from one of the questions below, and write a short response. Plan on writing for about 5-10 minutes. Here are the questions: