Blog Journal for Wednesday, February 27

For today's entry, think about the reading, "The Site of Memory," and about the three questions that I gave you. Now, respond to the following prompt in 1-2 paragraphs:

In your opinion, what is the difference between "fact" and "truth?" Can something that is fiction be true? Explain.

Blog Journal for Monday, February 18

For this entry, prepare for mini paper #4 by responding to the following:

1. Briefly summarize (1-2 paragraphs) what you discussed in mini-papers 1, 2, & 3.

2. Briefly comment (1-2 paragraphs) on what similarities/differences you see between your stories and those of your classmates.

By the way, check out Keely's blog entry right below this one. It has a lot of great tips for writing personal statements, cover letters, etc...

Blog Journal for Monday, February 4

Summary is an important but difficult writing skill. We will be spending more time in later classes discussing how to write complete summaries. For today's assignment, create a summary of about 2 paragraphs for the story "Hot Dog" in the packet (pp. 15-20). In your own words, re-tell the main events of the story.

Blog Journal for Monday, January 28

Today's entry relates to the piece entitled "Hair" in the course packet. Read this story by Malcolm X, and then answer question #3b. on page 13 of the packet. The question begins, "Now turn your focus to your own contemporary perspective..." This is a complicated question, and may require an answer that goes beyond a few sentences. Good luck!

How could I be perfect....

My biggest question about the syllabus is on how you're judging the perfect papers. I think the final and most important part of this course, not the theme, is the grade. From my experience with the writing course, I finally decided that there are no clear criteria on categorizing the papers as perfect, fair, bad...and so on. This is because I can definetely say I did perfect on my papers of last semester to the final point. If you remeber when last semester class was started you said no 'A's, just 'B's and 'C'.Was that true??? Even if the theme of the course is not to get an 'A', I really want to know what I should improve on my papers to see what I deserve....

Daniel

Blog Journal for Friday, January 25, 2008

First of all, I really enjoyed reading your posts about your writing experiences. People were really honest about their likes and dislikes regarding writing. For those of you that weren't able to post, keep trying-- I want to read what you have to say!

Now, on to the assignment. Please write on the following topic:

After reading the course syllabus carefully, what is your biggest question about this class? Please think about content, readings, and other issues related to writing--not just, "How do I get an A"!

Welcome!

If you are reading this, then you must be in WRIT 1301, Section 034, Spring 2008. This means that by the end of the semester, you will have completed your first-year writing requirement. By that time, you'll have written papers, journal entries, read a novel, and conducted research into an aspect of history that interests you. It should be an exciting semester, and I'm looking forward to it. To test this blog, please make a comment below, responding to the following prompt:

Write about one of your best OR worst experiences with writing. You might focus on a teacher, class, or assignment you've had. Or you might focus on something else-- it's your choice!