Recently in Analisis Category

Analysis

President Obama, at News Conference, Finesses Questions:

I think in this conference the repoerter does a very good job of reporting what the conference was about and describing the most important parts of it.

He is always following a sequence, and letting the reader know what is happendin by using words like "the most intense moment by far... the president was relaxed and confident."

These phrases help the reader to have a feeling of the admosphere of the event.

The repoerter also uses small qoutes that people said during the converence, although I notice he never uses long sentecnes as quotes and there are actually not a lot of those small quotes, compared to other stories I have read.

I think the reason for this is that the reader want to have main idea of what happened in the conference. They dont want to read the whole speech.

Analysis

This story talks about how Egyptians being violent because of their soccer teams. It is really surprising to read this because in Egypt soccer is not a big sport like in other parts of the world like Europe and south America. However soccer fans are protesting all over the street. The top two teams are fighting against each other. however there is one team call the Utras that does not know why are they protesting for, but they know what they are fighting against.

the main sources that the reporter uses are the fans of both of the teams and some of the people who organize the soccer tournaments in Europe.

Analysis

The story I picked was written by the StarTibune. It talks about one of the worst weeks Wall Street has face during the 2012.

The reporter used the number as percent and points that the industrial average has fell in Wall Street. On this story the reporter also used the numbers to describe a certain amount of money and exact dates in which those prices have dropped.

In my opinion, the way the reporter presents the numbers is not over whelming or difficult to understand. In contrast he is very organize and careful. Every time he gives a number he explains what they mean and why are they important.

The reporter does not use any math to present their numbers. In my opinion, is not appropriate to make readers do math to be able to understand what reporters are trying to explain with words. The reporter does a good job avoiding those problems.

There three main sources used by the reporter were the spokesperson from Obama, the University of Michigan and the Dow Jones Industrial average.

Analysis

I looked at a news that CNN posted in September 2012, about the death of Arthur Ochs Sulzberger. He was the person who transformed the New York Times into one of the most important newspapers in the world.

I notice the way this story was reported is different from other types of stories.

First of all, the sources the writes used are important people for society like celebrities and political figures. Instead of family members or relatives.

Second of all, the story is always telling the important things this person did during his life. The writer does not focus on his death, but instead he focuses on what he did while he was alive.

Finally, the lead refers to the the most important thing this person did during his career and the age when he died.

It is impressive to notice all these details when analyzing an obituary news.

Analysis

I compared the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times. They are both well-known newspapers.

It looks like the New York Times publishes different stories almost every minute. Sometimes the news they publish is still in progress and the writer only writes one paragraph about it, which in my opinion leaves the reader without enough information about what is happening.

On the other hand, Los Angeles Times also publishes stories very often, but they wait until they have more information than just a paragraph or a lead. Although the New York Times might have more stories I think Los Angeles Times does a better job in publishing what they have.

Finally, I didn't notice much difference in the way the reporters write in each newspaper. Actually both newspapers have a very similar type of writing that they all write exactly the same. They use the martini glass technique I have been taught in class.

Analysis

Something I found common in all the news stories that I blogged during this week, is that they all start with the most important things. Then they start to break down into the not very important facts.

For example, in the new about basketball player, Trevor Mbakwe, the reporter starts talking right away about how Mbakwe is not going to jail any more. Then they start to give some other details like the support the U of M gave him.

On the other hand, in all of the stories, the reporter gives a little bit of background about the news, or the person. In Mbakwe's story for example, the reporter says who is he, what year is he on, and what he have done for the gophers basketball team.

Finally, the stories are not always done in chronological order. Sometimes I feel I make the mistake of reporting in chronological order, instead of giving the facts first.

First Week Analysis

The article that Gina Kolata wrote for the The New York Times titled Three Drugs to Be Tested to Stave Off Alzheimer's has 5 sources.

- Dr. Ronald Petersen, director of the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at the Mayo Clinic,

- Maria C. Carrillo, vice president of medical and scientific relations at the Alzheimer's Association

- Dr. Randall Bateman of the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.

- Dr. Paul Aisen, an Alzheimer's researcher at the University of California, San Diego.

- Dr. Rachelle S. Doody, director of the Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders Center.

In my opinion the author distributes the sources through the paper. Kolata is always attributing the sources she uses for her article. She always explains who the person is and gives their respective title. I think this is really effective because it gives a little bit of background of the person to the reader and it makes the article more credible.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analisis category.

Favorite is the next category.