Get Real, Lower the Drinking Age to 19

Nick Jenkins
Blog #3
5-7-14
Kate Ranachan

In the article, Get real, lower drinking age to 19, by William Cohan from CNN Opinion Cohan talks about how the United States should lower the drinking age to 19. He says that many college students all over the United States laugh at the drinking age and many young adults break the law every week and sometimes daily. The problem at many universities is that many freshman according to a study done by Aaron White says that 40% of college freshman admitted they engaged in binge drinking (drinking five or more drinks in one sitting) while 20% admitted to drinking 10 or more drinks at least once during the last two weeks from when the students took the survey. This is a growing concern because many students happen to drink excessively or pregame before going out and this happens because they can bring or drink alcohol at the event they are attending and because of this many things can happen including damaging ones health and this may cause unsafe actions to these young adults. If the drinking age would be lowered to 19 (so alcohol would stay out of the high schools) I believe people would respect it more along with not abuse it so much. People would not abuse it so much because they would be aloud to drink in moderation compared to drinking heavily then going out.
This article seems to do a good job at presenting statistics he talks about different surveys and brings up dates along with other statistics throughout his article. Although he brings up statistics he tends to go off topic by talking about the University of Duke and other topics. Cohan should also keep the article more professional, and not put phrases like, "guzzling" "needless to say" and "the drinking ago of 21 is a national joke". I feel by him not staying professional throughout the article may have him loss credibility.
Overall I feel like Cohan gets his message across, but not in an effective manner. If Cohan would revise his article, and has a more professional use of language throughout the article, and stays on topic, I feel like the article being on CNN Opinion will give him credibility along with the surveys he uses should be very convincing to the audience.

Discussion questions

Do you think that the drinking age should be lowered to 19?

Do you think lowering the drinking age to 19 would help young adults be less likely to abuse alcohol?

Get your sled because we're about to go on a slippery slope. If 18 year-olds begin to abuse alcohol should we lower the drinking age again? No? Why not? Because 18 is less than 19? Yes? If 17 year-olds begin to abuse alcohol should we lower the drinking age again? Where does it end? What makes any specific age best?

Why do people 21 and older abuse alcohol if they can buy it legally?

I don't think that the drinking age should be lowered to 19. Let me tell you why. I am a Latino young man, alcohol abuse seems to be a theme in Latino culture, and I've felt the destruction that is initiated when a bad character breaks through the inhibition that has been removed by alcohol. You can say what you want about alcohol not being the direct cause of evil, but it sure helps. Still not convinced? Speak to women on college campuses and ask them what young men on alcohol will do without inhibition.

I think this is a very interesting topic, and one that directly appeals to myself. I do not think that the drinking age should be lowered to 19 years of age. I do not think that lowering the drinking age from 21 would really have any benefits. I am currently 20 years old, only a month away from being a legal drinker. If the drinking age was 19, I would be drinking the exact same way that I am right now, and once I turn 21 and become a legal drinker I will most likely drink the same way too. I think that college drinking statistics are not very accurate. I believe that many more people “binge drink” than the studies show. Once you get to college, it does not matter what age you are. You will be able to find alcohol very easily, and you will most likely drink and go to parties. Whether the drinking age is 19 or 21, college students will continue to drink alcohol and binge drink.

I think that the drinking age should be lowered to 19, because as you said, so many students already disobey the law. I think of other countries, such as in Europe, where the drinking age is 18 and it hasn't been a problem. I think why it gets out of hand in the United States is because college students under 21, are in a social setting, away from parents and rules, and drinking is a part of that culture. So when college students get the chance to have a drink, maybe it is taken in excess because of the limited availability and that it's seen as an opportunity. I see that many people argue that the law shouldn't be changed because they'll continue to drink in the same way. Well if you're under the legal age, it's technically breaking the law. Wouldn't you rather not be at risk of getting caught?

I do agree with your point that the drinking age being 21 is sort of taken as a joke on college campuses across the U.S. On the other hand I do not agree that the drinking age should be lowered to 19.

By lowering the age limit to 19, we will allow high school students much easier access to alcohol. Most 18-year-old kids do not have many close connections with individuals of legal drinking age(21), but they do however know plenty of people at the age of 19. We will simply encourage drinking to start earlier.

Once someone enters college I feel that on the whole, drinking is taken much less seriously as a crime.

By keeping the drinking age at 21, we regulate the purchase of alcohol to high school students and still allow for college students to have their fun.