School Uniforms..

What do you think about school uniforms? I had one, and not only did I get used to it, I had no problem with it. But there were many peers in my class who were against this 'act of dictatorship'. I recently read an article that outlines the negative aspects of school uniforms, and why they should be outlawed. Dr. Alan Hilfer talks about whether taking away student's individuality is worth the payoff of decreased behavior problems, and increased test scores. Hilfer goes on to state how uniforms can create cliques, and even worse; get a student hurt. "Gang colors and insignias, whether worn intentionally or unintentionally, can get a student jumped or worse. Status clothes, such as team jackets of professional sports teams, leather coats and designer sneakers, have led to thefts, sometimes by knife or at gunpoint."
I feel that this argument should be cut into many different cloths, inner city public school and suburban private schools have a very different student body. The uniform argument should be applied differently in different settings.
I feel that yes, school uniforms can sometimes hinder creativity and uniqueness, but there are some positive aspects of uniforms that need to be stated. Children from low income families don't have to feel inferior when other kids at their schools wear fancy clothes that they can't afford.
I understand the argument against uniforms, but I feel that the uniform itself is only helping to stop children from feeling left out or individualized.

I grew up going through public school's my whole life, kindergarten through now the U of M and I find the idea of school uniforms unnecessary and something I only see in Disney shows. From my viewpoint, the only benefit from uniforms is that it limits what I guess one could say "showing off the body" in girls and guys. Short skirts, sleeveless shirts etc... I feel like schools should not have uniforms but that doesn't mean letting the students where whatever they like. Limits can be set--No hats, no cleavage, skirt length, offensive shirts..the list goes on. I have no problem with that. All I know is that I would go crazy if I had to wear the same clothes every single day. What if it was the superbowl and I wanted to wear a jersey? Or it is just really cold and I wanted to wear a sweatshirt...

I went to public school my whole life and think they aren't a great idea. I never really thought about what my classmates were wearing and didn't think too much about my attire. Most of that was because I was a boy probably, but I think it's something that was very evident at my school. It sometimes seemed like we had a school uniform, that uniform being sweatpants and a sweatshirt. So I don't really think they are necessary.

I have gone to both public and private school in the past and I think both sides of the argument definitely have their benefits. As you mentioned with a uniform, everyone is wearing the same thing and that leaves no room for people to feel uncomfortable about what they are wearing or to feel ashamed. I know that this can happen and although some people might not feel this way, it is definitely a problem that occurs, especially during middle school when attentions start to become focused more on looks and doing what’s considered cool. I think uniforms are also a great alternative to buying several kinds of clothes and it keeps costs down, because all you need is two or three uniforms and you are good to go, and you usually get them cheaply from lands end or other places at reasonable prices, even if they look kind of fancy uniforms are usually pretty cheap. In terms of the comment about when its cold out, we had a sweater that was part of the uniform which we could put on when it was cold. As for short or scandalous uniforms, our skirts had to be below our knees and no tank tops were allowed, and we got in trouble if we weren’t wearing the uniform properly. I agree though it definitely does not leave room for creativity and I hated that. I also didn’t like how strict it all ways, I think if schools could find a happy medium or actually create uniforms that don’t totally stink, like jeans and a sweatshirt, it would be kind of cool.