« Social Design Issues | Main | Freedom to Choose »

Influences On My Choice of a Millenium Goal

After looking at all of the UN's Millennium goals, one of them stuck out in my mind more than any of the others. This was the goal to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. I feel like this is one of the biggest problems that face the human race. The extreme poverty and hunger that covers this planet is a problem that needs to be addressed. No person should have to live in an area with no drinking water, no food, and no clean or safe sanitation. As a country that is wealthy and has many resources and power, the US should be a frontrunner in trying to help and solve this problem. The developed nations have a responsibility to make this world a better place for the future of all mankind.
There are some quotes that I found that should really help motivate and inspire people to this goal. One of the things I believe in is that any wealthy or able person that can should be helping people who are stuck in poverty. There are some quotes that I have found follow this same idea.
"The honest poor can sometimes forget poverty. The honest rich can never forget it"
-G.K. Chesterton
"We are rich only through what we give; and poor only through what we refuse and keep."
-Madame Swetchine
There is an unbelievable amount of money spent by our country, and maybe there are better ways to spend it.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children . . . Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Music can play a strong role in influencing people, whether it is good or bad. There are some songs that I believe can make a person feel as if they should help out in the cause, or at least that is what I felt when listening to these songs. Here are a few, listen to them and see what affect they have on you.
"Fix You" -Coldplay
"Everyday" -Dave Matthews Band
"Hole in the World" -The Eagles
If a person does not know the horror of and shock of extreme poverty, there is one way to bring a very shocking view of it to them. They say that a picture says a thousand words, and after looking at these pictures, I don't believe I need to say much more.
Blog 3-2.jpgBlog 3-3.jpg
Blog 3-4.jpgBlog 3-5.jpg
Blog 3-6.jpg

There is not much more that I can say, hopefully after looking at this you realize that we need to reach this goal. The problem of extreme poverty and hunger is not one to be taken lightly, and without meeting this goal, who knows what will become of this planet. I will leave you with a quote; one that I think will strike a chord with you readers.
"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich."
-John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address, January 20th, 1961

Very thoughtful.