Cancel the blog?!

Sorry for the title but I thought it would get everyone's attention. Obviously the blog is a big part of our Rhetoric class but it seems to me that the purpose is becoming slighty altered and I can see it creating a negative atmosphere already between members of our class. I don't know about anyone else but I am pretty sure the point of the blog was to get our opinions out there (no matter what standpoint) and work on expressing our ideas through writing on the blog. I feel that there has been a sort of shift toward attacking other people personally concerning their blogging viewpoints. I think that if this is going to continue to be the case and escalate into a further problem, then why continue creating such a negative atmosphere in our class with this blog? Honestly, I don't feel like attending a class three times a week with people that are going to start taking attitudes towards others in the class simply because they don't see eye-to-eye on some of the blog topics! How ridiculous does that seem? And one large way you can tell that this blogging idea is starting to become a problem is because certain people are now choosing to make their blog post anonymous... which really wouldn't be necessary if we were simply expressing opinions not attacking personally. I think that if someone is willing to express such a strong point-of-view on a subject and they choose to blog about it, then you need to anticipate that others who feel completely different about your ideas are going to express their opinions right back, and you need to learn to cope and deal and just be okay with everyone's opinions. It is healthy for communication and rhetoric purposes to acknowledge differing viewpoints and opposing arguments so can we just leave it at that? I don't know how anyone else feels but I really hope we can learn to use the blog for its initial purposes! See you all in class... maybe we should bring cookies or candy or something to lighten the mood! Haha!

Posted by atNovember 1, 2004 10:09 PM