Minnesotans for 15 years, they face deportation. | Main | Home alone data debatable

A true "frog to prince" fairy tale

The Pioneer Press featured an story of an Iowa banker discovering his royal roots on its July 5 edition. Marty Johnson was adopted by his Iowa family after living in a Catholic orphanage at St Paul until 4. Now 41, Johnson started his search for his biological parents in 2001, and soon got in touch with his mother in California, who told him that his father is the chief of a small Nigerian village. Johnson's father, John Ogike came to visit Johnson and his family in April his first visit to America since he left school in the '60s. In the span of one year, Johnson's sibling count jumped from one to nine, with two new sisters on his mom's side and six siblings on his father's. The mortgage banker from Eagan became the prince of Aboh, a small village in Nigeria, and first in line to become its chief.

I was touched by the humanity side of the story. When I shared this with a friend, who was adopted from Vietnam at 18-month, she laughed, saying "too bad there isn't any village in Vietnam that I might be the Princess of."

Posted by at July 15, 2005 3:27 PM | World News with a Local Emphasis

Look Eva, I'm wondering if this guy will spent the rest of his life in Nigeria. I don't know,but if I were this guy, I rather be a prince in a Nigreian village than to be a Mortgage banker in Eagan.

Posted by: Bill at July 15, 2005 3:47 PM

This is the kind of thing adopted/abandoned kids dream of; they find their biological parents and low and behold, a new life of royalty and riches. I'm glad that the fairy tale came true for this man. Whether he stays here or moves to Nigeria, I wish him well.

Posted by: Patti at July 15, 2005 9:09 PM