Category "Etc."

A Phenomenal Woman

O The Oprah Magazine
August 2005 issue

There is no link available yet for this story, as the magazine’s website doesn’t have the August issue available to view at this time. That said, on with the story.

Sabriye Tenberken has been alive for 34 years and blind for 22 of them. A degenerative retinal disease stole her sight when she was only 12 years old. “Her classmates spurned and taunted her, gave her false directions in order to watch her tumble down a flight of stairs.” Sabriye tried to fit in with the sighted world by denying her blindness, and she was miserable.
When she went to a boarding school for the blind, she learned, among other things, that she was not alone. She read an entire book, in Braille, for the first time in her life. At 26, she went to Tibet, where the blind are considered demonic. Now, she teaches blind Tibetan children about their culture. Their blind culture.

Posted by at 9:04 PM | Etc.

Category "Etc."

Grocery Store Wars

I don't know if any of you besides Dianna are interested in agriculture, but I thought you might want to watch Store Wars, a flash movie about organic farming along the same lines as the anti-factory farming The Meatrix.

I've heard the argument made that organic farming is a kind of self-indulgent, irresponsible luxury, though -- that the United States has so much wealth and arable land that we can use a lot of it for organic crops, which as you probably know have a lesser yield than crops with pesticides/herbicides -- and we should use the land instead to maximize yield and feed as many people as possible, even if the foods aren't organic.

Maybe I'll ask an agricultural scientist about it sometime.

Posted by at 12:42 PM | Etc.