From Class Tonight

Where Computers Go to Die

See also Recycling Poison: Inside China's E-Waste Workshops

And those stories on brands/identity systems: The Inner Doughboy and part two of the story, The Mr. Peanut Chronicles.

Oh, and I wanted to add that, as you recall, Ben mentioned that the University of Minnesota is one of only about eight universities in the country to have a blog initiative like UThink (I know Harvard and the University of South Florida have blog systems too, but I'm not aware of the others). Well, it's highly likely that you guys are the first class -- definitely among the first, at any rate -- to use it for a course weblog. We're making history in our little way.

Posted by ratli008 at 8:50 PM

This is not the time for blogging

Given that the class is sort of wrapping up pretty rapidly and everything, and since I have to give my presentation tomorrow (I trust you are all excited about dollarization), I have to admit that blogging hasn't been at the top of my list of things to do.

By the way, Paxton, I don't like the Beastie Boys -- they're hacks. But to each his own, right?

Posted by john6507 at 2:05 PM

KFC chickens

BBC News
Did you guys saw the news on Tuesday about KFC? The people who worked in West Virginia got fired for abusing chickens. What is wearied about this news is that, there was a video that shows these workers slamming the chickens on the wall and on the table. When I saw the video I could not believe how somebody does something like this. The only thing KFC did was fire the workers who got involved in this incident. I think these workers should be locked up because they donít look normal to me. If you guys what to know more about the news, click BBC News.

Posted by asfa0002 at 4:32 PM

Working with Kids

One of my worst fears was working with kids because I am not good working with kids. This summer I got work-study so I start working for American Reads. The American reads program is a free program for kids who leave around south Minneapolis area. This program is mainly targeted towards kids for whom English is their second language. Some of you might wonder why I took this job, the reason I took this job is because I want to help kids and challenge my self. We have 30-35 kids in one room from age 4 Ė 13. I have to work with 30 kids everyday can you believe it? Some of the kids donít even write or read their names. The good thing about this program is that it is a short summer program and this program will be over tomorrow the 22nd. What surprises me is that within a short period of time, some of the kids start writing and socializing with other kids.

Posted by asfa0002 at 6:07 PM

It's me!

Hi everyone, I just realize that thoughout the last 2 years, I've done a lot of school projects and most of the topics I chose are related to China. I've done "Globalization and China", "American and Chinese Agricultural Development Comparison", "Chinese Medicine", "Smoking and Health in China", "Hunger in China" and finally in this class "Air Pollution in China", isn't that crazy? Maybe I just really want to let my friends in America know more about what's happening in my country.

- jeeeee

Posted by cheu0056 at 12:24 PM

"Magnolia"

I don't really want to talk about anything related to the class right now. I'd rather just talk a little bit about my favorite movie (or, more precisely, one of my favorite movies), Magnolia. It's a P.T. Anderson movie that's really, really good. I like the way the camera shots are really continuous, and I think the plot is pretty involved. My favorite part, though, which I just thought about and which made me want to write this, is towards the end of the movie when these frogs are raining down and there's an ambulance that's racing at such a speed that it tips. The shot is from inside the ambulance and you see all the papers and people inside and everything just get sucked to one side as it rolls. Basically, I've never seen any part of a movie that's quite as amazing. I'd definitely recommend it -- anyone would like Tom Cruise after seeing it. And that's my second blog this week, for anyone keeping score.

Posted by john6507 at 10:37 PM

Golf

I've always hated golf, but I got a set of clubs over the weekend since my dad decided I need to develop a talent and since I never turn down anything that he'll buy for me. I haven't golfed or anything in three years, though, so when I came home to try to smash some balls into this pond (swamp, really, but I like to make it sound a little more idyllic than it is) behind my house, I just smashed a bunch of grass and dirt. I then went to the driving range and did the same thing there. I realized that this was the cause of my major back pain (which I was thinking must be my wickedly curved spine or something), which gives an idea of the level of rigorous exercise I engage in regularly. I think I need to sign up for lessons or something, which is kind of a downer since it makes me feel even more childish.
-Derek

Posted by john6507 at 10:31 PM

CHE website

Hi Paxton,
I am not sure whether you remember this or not but two weeks ago we were talking about U of M websites. You said that you meet or saw the person who designs the CHE website. If you know him or if he is, your friend please let know because I have a lot of question that I want to ask him for my final paper. Thanks

Posted by asfa0002 at 12:29 PM

These blogs are starting to stress me out. I've been staring at my screen for like twenty minutes trying to think of something to write down, but not a lot is coming to mind. I tried to imitate some of the other posts on this site, but nothing came to fruition. I didn't really do anything today, either, though I did get a CD (by Dieselboy) and it's kind of got a really gritty sound to it. The title of it is totally lame, though, so I'm not writing it down. So I've got like six lines here or so, so I think that counts as a pretty solid blog.

Posted by john6507 at 10:45 PM

Apology.

I did my presentation this Wed. I'm done with it, but I just not feel like I did well thou. I was soooooooo nervous. I did prepared, but I would say not well prepared. Sigh....anyway, I've got through it. Hope you guys just forget whatever I did wrong that night.
BTW, long weekend. Enjoy and refresh, have some fun!

^0^

Posted by yuan0042 at 12:56 PM

I hate the bus

I really hate the bus because I don't like the people on the bus. Yesterday, I had to take the stupid route 6 bus home and there was some kid whistling that song from "Kill Bill" for roughly forty minutes. Whistling is very rude. I hate the bus. And that's my second blog this week.

Posted by john6507 at 12:17 AM

Regrets about research project...

Wow, the more I try to read on my topic (dollarization), the more I think I'm not suited for my major (economics). There are so many things involved that it gets a little daunting, especially when there are formulas and heavy graphs thrown in out of nowhere.

Still, I do think its interesting, so the paper seems to be going fairly well thus far. I've got more material than I can read, so I don't think I'll be heading back to the library or anything, which is nice.

So, in sum, I have some regrets but all things considered its going fairly well.

Posted by john6507 at 11:35 AM

Sample Proposal

Hey, everyone, here's a sample proposal (PDF) that you can use as a model for formatting (headings, body text, etc.) if you like. Take a look at it!

Posted by ratli008 at 2:05 PM

Brief introduction by sohaila R.

Hi everyone!
First of all, I would like to introduce myself briefly since I had to miss the first night of class. My name is Sohaila and I have lived in Minnesota for almost 15 years. I live in a southern suburb Town, Burnsville, MN. Perhaps you can tell that I have a long driving time to come to school, although I have been used to it by now. My ultimate goal is to teach science courses in Public Health.

Second, you might be wondered why I am blogging this late. Clearly I have a good excuse! "my family and especially my son," take a good number of my productive hours during the day in addition to my studing time.

I hope you all be well prepared for class peer review tomarrow.
Good luck on your Proposal !

Posted by rahi0004 at 12:40 AM

I really liked this documentary called "Super Size Me". It's by this guy named Morgan Spurlock and, for any who haven't heard about it, he goes on a 30-day McDonald's binge to prove that the food is injurious to your health. I don't know that McDonald's should bear the guilt of a nation of fat people, but I know that I won't be going to McDonald's for some time after seeing that movie.
-Derek

Posted by john6507 at 9:22 AM

Check this website

College of Human Ecology
Hey guys,
My final project is based on CHE website and can you guys please check this website. If you can answer this questions, it will be helpfull.
What do you guys think about this websites overall design, color ....? Do you think this website is easy to use? Do you think this website helps you to know more about graphic design and other majors?
Helen

Posted by asfa0002 at 5:38 PM

Paxton's Progress

Hey all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found a website that talks about why the websites should be accessible and I also found a PDF documnet by the ADA on accessible design. I also got the phone number of Disability services here at the University and I plan on calling them and visiting them tomorrow and getting information from them.

Paxton

Posted by casim003 at 5:32 PM

Rhetoric 1152

Hi all, hope you're doing well...
On Monday class Clancy mentioned about Logos, Ethos and Pathos, from that I remember the class that I took last semster, because I learnt those terms from that class, which is Rhet 1152: Writing on Issue of Science and Technology. Before I took this class, I thought it would be hard and boring. But then I found that I've learnt a lot on scientific research, and also a lot on current scientific issue. I've learnt more than I expected! The instructor, John Logieis a very nice person! I highly recommend you to take this class if you're interested in scientific research!

Posted by cheu0056 at 5:30 PM

Hello...

Hi, everyone.
I was trying so hard to think of anything to write down here. I am taking 2 other classes besides Rhet 3562, I am trying to think to something fun to share with you guys.

The city of Minneapolis is having a program called "Mosaic", it's a summer art and music festival takes place every year from June to July. This program is trying to celebrate all of the ways we express ourselves and our cultural traditions through the arts. From parades to performances, to festivals to food
It's summer time, douns exciting? Here's the site you can get more information. Also, you can check the scheduel to see what activities you could join. Have fun in the summer!
http://www.minneapolismosaic.com
and it's the time of the year we should go out and enjoy the sun. But, we have a T-storm warning this afternoon in the metro area, hope it won't last too long to effect tonight's class. and hope you all get to class safely.

Posted by yuan0042 at 4:42 PM

Question about proposal

Hi, clancy,
Plan: How much time will it take to implement your solution?

What would you exactly mean by the following statements ?

Audience analysis: How does the audience for your final report currently view
your topic?

Posted by rahi0004 at 6:36 PM

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this trance group called 4 Strings. They're actually really good. I happen to think that trance is a really great genre of music, because it sort of inflates itself with a lot of drama. There are a lot of really good songs on the 4 Strings album "Believe" and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard it.
-Derek

Posted by john6507 at 4:32 PM

Good Job Girls

Hi everyone! This is Jennas, I just want to say thank you to Amy and Pam for the good job on yesterday night! Good luck to the presenter for tomorrow!

Posted by cheu0056 at 10:33 AM

Hey guys,
Sorry for not posting anything for last week. i was so busy over the weekends because i was moving out from my mom's house. How was your weekends guys? i hope you all had fun on fathers day.
bye.

Posted by asfa0002 at 5:57 PM

Hi!

Hey everyone! It's Pam here. I just wanted to say hello. I hope you all had a good weekend. I didn't do much, just basically relaxed and it was very laid back, which was something I needed. I got to see my dad and take him to lunch for Father's Day which was very nice. Anyways nothing much is going on just finishing up some homework. I have to give my first speech tomorrow in my other Rhetoric class. Wish me luck! I will see you all tomorrow night.

Pam

Posted by hand0093 at 2:00 AM

My first weblog entry

This blogging isn't too bad. And that's my first entry.

-Derek Johnson

Posted by john6507 at 12:35 PM

hello~~

Hello! Everyone. I am Jing. Even though we all introduced ourselves in the first class, I think many of us might not remember all the others. Here's my self-introduction, again...
Name: Jing Yuan
Major: Applied Economics
Years in school: junior
Interests: watching TV + movies, playing video games, shopping...
From: China. I've been to American for 4 years, and I graduated from Minnetonka High School, then attending the U.(why i just couldn't get out of MN??)

This is my first Rhet class in my entire life. I always feel a little bit stressful taking Rhet class. In my own opinion, Rhetoric = professional writing, I am not good at writing(even in my native language), and I won't attempt to be professional... Hope I could start feeling comfortable as the class goes on. And hope I could know all of you better by the end of this class. ^^

Posted by yuan0042 at 8:26 PM

Trial Blog

here is my trial blog. Apparently it worked.

Posted by daws0068 at 8:25 PM

Test post

Hi, everybody,

I am just testing to make sure my post will make it to the weblog!!

Posted by rahi0004 at 8:25 PM

Introduction to Ben

I thought I would use this test post to showcase some of my design work. I have a website called Liquid Chroma Design that I use as a design alter ego and online portfolio. I don't update it all that frequently and it's pretty basic, but feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

Posted by mill1621 at 8:23 PM

Test post

How to code a link:

Google

Posted by ratli008 at 8:23 PM

MY WEBSITE

My Website

Hey check this 10 year old web page pretty cool huh....lol

Posted by casim003 at 8:22 PM

test

test blog

Posted by rens0004 at 8:15 PM