« Farm Stay | Main | Doubtful Sound »

Queenstown

Queenstown

Adventure city!! We all rode the gondola and the chair lift to the luging (once is not enough is true) and then walked up to watch the parasailing launch point. Decided to pass on any activity that requires a back-up parachute. Emily and I went tandem paragliding, riding a hundred meters above the water under the parachute, attached by a cable to the speed boat. (Mom – it’s actually a safe activity). On day 2, Rebecca and I went white water rafting, passing under the bridge that is the original bungy jumping site. When offered the chance to “swim? down the first, mild rapids, I didn’t think long enough and rolled overboard into water. The shock occurred immediately, as I realized why we had on full wet suits just to ride in the rafts. A few mouthfuls of water and a bumpy ride to the calmer water after about 30 seconds was enough. Rebecca hauled me back in just the way we had been taught. Meanwhile, Joyce and Emily went on a scenic boat ride and a horse back adventure to a high country sheep farm. We decided to take a late afternoon ride across the pass to Puzzle World. More majestic views on the steep, winding road, but we got to our destination 6 minutes after the last allowed admission (no exception made – even the gates to the parking lot were closed). Made it back to Queenstown before dark, as the drive on the left side on this road was challenging enough with daylight.