HnH 5/1/08

Went in around 4:30 to finish up on the shelves. Maurie and I got them mounted on the back of the cabinets in the library area. 4 slabs in all. We did a pretty good job lining them up properly. Only broke 1 drill bit in the process, but once I got a system down we just flew through it. Now there will be enough book storage areas for the summer program to use!

HnH 4/30/08

Computer lab
Few kids came up during Study Time to use the computers. They were going on websites that weren’t related to studying/schoolwork. After asking them if it was a website they could learn from they tried to make an excuse about learning how to type, but eventually we got them to go to homeworkisland.com or studyisland.com. It was a website they let them play a few rounds of game after getting some math questions correct.

Afterwards I got started on building a new book shelf to house all the books that got donated to the program. I’ll be headed in tomorrow after school to finish up the project and mount the shelves on the cabinets.

BP 8 & 9

Aids Presentation.
They gave a lot of information on the actual disease and how it can be transmitted and prevented. Most of it was information we’ve all heard again and again, but I had never heard that it could not be transmitted through tattoos and piercings, or through feces and vomit.

The only real way for this disease to be prevented is by reaching and educating children. You can provide materials to cut down on the spread of disease, but it will all go to waste unless you can educate the masses.

There are traditional ways of educating people through schools, or by bringing them into clinics, but that can be overwhelming to be singled out for this education session. One way to make it more casual is to have group discussions, such as going into refugee camps and addressing the whole camp, as to not single anyone out.

Sanitation also plays a key role in eliminating AIDS. The clean water situation in Sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia is terrible. In order for people with the disease to battle it, they need to be in a clean – safe environment.

Sustainability Presentation

This group showed us eight ways for us to lessen our environmental footprint. Their proposals seemed as though they were directed to people only living in the United States. I was under the impression that the Millennium Development Goals were intended for developing nations, not developed nations. Either way, their recommendations are as follows:

1 - Heat your house more efficiently
2 - Recycle
3 - Conserve light energy consumption
4 - Use energy efficient appliances
5 - Personal garden / compost pile
6 - Bamboo fiber clothing
7 - Bio fuels
8 - Hybrid cars

Going green does have it's benefits, even though it does cost more money in initial start-up.

HnH 4/16/08

Computer Lab:

A few kids came up and played some car racing games online during their free-time, and even fewer came up during study time to play educational games (counting, spelling).

Fire drill! We had a fire drill and we went out the back door and crossed the street. Some of the kids seemed more interested in kicking rocks and picking things off the ground than staying with the group.

Afterwards I finished sorting the books that were donated to the Library.

HnH 4/9/08

Computer Lab:

The kids finished a poster on the wall going over the rules of the computer lab. It says what sites are inappropriate to go to (myspace, facebook, youtube). It was signed by all the kids, and I posted it up on the wall so you can see it right when you walk into the lab.

After HnH:
Sorted books that were donated to the Library. There are about 16 huge boxes to go through. Broken down into 3 categories: Picture books, Short Chapter books, and Chapter books. These are to be used as prizes and reading material.

BP7 - cover page layouts

Here are the three that I came up with.
Not sure how well they will correlate to .jpg format, but I would hope to have them full page bleed.

(pretty crust... i know)

HnH 3/26/08 & 4/2/08

No Homework 'n Hoops scheduled for these two weeks.

HnH 3/19/08

UMN Spring Break!

HnH 3/12/08

Someone continued where I left off with the ‘kid friendly’ website list. I would say that it is completed. Again, a pretty slow day up in the lab.

BP6 - layouts

These are some layouts I think look good. They are website layouts but it wouldn't be that hard to convert them to a hard copy such as a poster or 8 1/2 by 11.

http://www.lensfoundation.org/

http://www.jeffreytwarrenappraisals.com/

http://www.odonnell-lane.com/

Buildings affect where I go, and in turn shape who I am. On a normal Tuesday and Thursday I wouldn't go to the Bell Auditorium if I wasn't a student, but being in that, lets say 9,000 sq. foot space from 2:30 to 3:45 makes me a student. (Aside from the fact that I pay tuition.)

What other buildings make me who I am?

Me living in the basement of a house that isn't mine makes me a renter.
Me being at 2539 Pleasant Avenue S. in Minneapolis every Wednesday from 3:30-5:00 makes me a Homework 'n Hoops Volunteer.
Me being at 50 South Sixth Street makes me a valet.
Me being at a doctors office makes me a patient.

The built environment also affects how I get to and from those locations. It provides me with ways that I can go and ways that I can't go.

It also gives me a sense of security, which allows me to worry about other issues. This can be equated to Maslows Hierarchy of Needs. Trusting the locks and windows on a house is important. I have lived in some really shitty places around the cities. Being worried about the foundation crumbling is not a good feeling. There was a house where I lived in nordeast Minneapolis where the foundation was so shifted that our doors wouldn't close because the house slanting caused the door frame to be tilted. When it got cold outside we were lucky if we could get the doors to even stay latched.

HnH 3/5/08

Travis and Maurie had me start to compile a list of ‘kid friendly’ websites. They had a previous one, but it was a little outdated. Surfed around looking for educational kid websites. National Geographic Kids has a good website that teaches kids about the natural environment and animals. There are some other websites I found that helped with world geography – locating countries and what-not.

BP4 - natural vandal

If I were torn away from the architecture program I would form my own organization: PETE.

People for the Ethical Treatment of the Environment.

I would vandalize the face of the earth with renewable resources.

(click for larger image)

Here I would play the roll of Johnny Appleseed, planting an insane amount of trees in a pattern that can only be legible from outer space.
What harm is there in planting more trees? That's what I thought, NONE!

(click for larger image)

This would only be possible in winter. What I would do is write messages in soil on a frozen lake. When the ice melts the soil falls to the bottom of the lake, doing no damage to the lakes ecosystem.

HnH 2/27/08

Up in the computer lab. Not one kid came up to use the lab. Pretty slow day.

BP3

The UN Millennium Development Goal that I am focusing on is #8 – Develop a Global Partnership for Development.

I feel the need to stay away from songs such as Michael Jackson's "Heal the World" and The Youngbloods' "Get Together". These songs seem much too happy and their message might be lost because of the fuzzy feelings they give you.

Propagandhi - A Public Disservice Announcement from Shell

Propagandhi - Resisting Tyrannical Government

Let it be known that I don't support the killing of elected officials as a viable option for social change.

Billy Bragg – Waiting for the Great Leap Forward

A great quote from Billy Bragg in this song:
“In the former Soviet Union the citizens demand
To know why they are still the target of strategic air command
And they shake their fists in anger and respectfully suggest
We take the money from our missiles and spend it on our hospitals instead?

bolivianboyrocks.jpg
Image credit: Flickr
One aspect of goal #8 is to develop decent and productive work for the youth, in cooperation with the developing countries. In 2003 youth unemployment rates were highest in the Middle East and in Northern Africa - 26% of the youth were unemployed. The next lowest region was Sub-Saharan Africa.
To achieve these goals work needs to be done, why not utilize and empower the people of these countries in the education and development process?