« HnH 3/5/08 | Main | BP6 - layouts »

Buildings affect where I go, and in turn shape who I am. On a normal Tuesday and Thursday I wouldn't go to the Bell Auditorium if I wasn't a student, but being in that, lets say 9,000 sq. foot space from 2:30 to 3:45 makes me a student. (Aside from the fact that I pay tuition.)

What other buildings make me who I am?

Me living in the basement of a house that isn't mine makes me a renter.
Me being at 2539 Pleasant Avenue S. in Minneapolis every Wednesday from 3:30-5:00 makes me a Homework 'n Hoops Volunteer.
Me being at 50 South Sixth Street makes me a valet.
Me being at a doctors office makes me a patient.

The built environment also affects how I get to and from those locations. It provides me with ways that I can go and ways that I can't go.

It also gives me a sense of security, which allows me to worry about other issues. This can be equated to Maslows Hierarchy of Needs. Trusting the locks and windows on a house is important. I have lived in some really shitty places around the cities. Being worried about the foundation crumbling is not a good feeling. There was a house where I lived in nordeast Minneapolis where the foundation was so shifted that our doors wouldn't close because the house slanting caused the door frame to be tilted. When it got cold outside we were lucky if we could get the doors to even stay latched.