HnH 5/1/08

Went in around 4:30 to finish up on the shelves. Maurie and I got them mounted on the back of the cabinets in the library area. 4 slabs in all. We did a pretty good job lining them up properly. Only broke 1 drill bit in the process, but once I got a system down we just flew through it. Now there will be enough book storage areas for the summer program to use!

HnH 4/30/08

Computer lab
Few kids came up during Study Time to use the computers. They were going on websites that weren’t related to studying/schoolwork. After asking them if it was a website they could learn from they tried to make an excuse about learning how to type, but eventually we got them to go to homeworkisland.com or studyisland.com. It was a website they let them play a few rounds of game after getting some math questions correct.

Afterwards I got started on building a new book shelf to house all the books that got donated to the program. I’ll be headed in tomorrow after school to finish up the project and mount the shelves on the cabinets.

HnH 4/16/08

Computer Lab:

A few kids came up and played some car racing games online during their free-time, and even fewer came up during study time to play educational games (counting, spelling).

Fire drill! We had a fire drill and we went out the back door and crossed the street. Some of the kids seemed more interested in kicking rocks and picking things off the ground than staying with the group.

Afterwards I finished sorting the books that were donated to the Library.

HnH 4/9/08

Computer Lab:

The kids finished a poster on the wall going over the rules of the computer lab. It says what sites are inappropriate to go to (myspace, facebook, youtube). It was signed by all the kids, and I posted it up on the wall so you can see it right when you walk into the lab.

After HnH:
Sorted books that were donated to the Library. There are about 16 huge boxes to go through. Broken down into 3 categories: Picture books, Short Chapter books, and Chapter books. These are to be used as prizes and reading material.

HnH 3/26/08 & 4/2/08

No Homework 'n Hoops scheduled for these two weeks.

HnH 3/19/08

UMN Spring Break!

HnH 3/12/08

Someone continued where I left off with the ‘kid friendly’ website list. I would say that it is completed. Again, a pretty slow day up in the lab.

HnH 3/5/08

Travis and Maurie had me start to compile a list of ‘kid friendly’ websites. They had a previous one, but it was a little outdated. Surfed around looking for educational kid websites. National Geographic Kids has a good website that teaches kids about the natural environment and animals. There are some other websites I found that helped with world geography – locating countries and what-not.

HnH 2/27/08

Up in the computer lab. Not one kid came up to use the lab. Pretty slow day.

HnH 2/20/08

Our last day of training. We went around and asked the children and mentors what they liked most about homework ‘n hoops. Most of the kids said that they really liked to play the games and liked the free time, but a few said they liked to get their homework done before going home. The mentors said that they liked to help the children and be a role model.

sl 2/13/08

Last Wednesday we got to go in and get our training done with Maurie at Homework n Hoops. I am going to be up in the computer lab helping kids with any problems they might have up there. We were taught a system in which we are to speak with the children. The three main ways we learned to guide conduct were:

reinforce
redmind
redirect

more later...