Records/CAR

The story I will discuss is called: Plastic Car is Cool, Does 60 MPH in Reverse, from the website Geekologie.

From reading this website for a while I know that the Geekologie reporter (he remains nameless but has let it be known he is a male), has to posess the skills to understand how a server works and how large the server needs to be, because comments from the reading public, are allowed on his page. He also gets most of his story ideas from emailed tips. Therefore, he would have to know how email works.

Included in his stories are many links for the websites he gets his information from and video clips to see the products he reports on, so a knowledge of how to create links is also important.

Diversity

I am using this story: http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119466546698288951-Te1Se_B1TS6Osh_NQlJCphNzNa4_20071210.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top, from the Wall Street Journal, titled: Whites’ Great Hope? Barack Obama and the Dream of a Color-Blind America.

This article moves beyond stereotypes. It says that because of Obama’s racial background, young, white people are more likely to vote for him.

This article does an excellent job at telling the story through quotes, data and observation. For example, the quote from a Harvard Law Professor, “Sen. Obama "doesn't steer away from race but makes sure that everything he does is influenced by his bi-racial identity.?

There was not really any new information in this article that I didn’t already know.

Numbers

I will use this story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21535573/

The story is from MSNBC and is about an increase in price for laptops in the US consumer market.

The reporter uses numbers to talk about the price differences in laptops, to talk about the number of laptops in production and discuss different software for different laptops. There are a lot of numbers used in this article but the writer was good about breaking up the article so they did not become overwhelming. The reporter did seem to use math to crunch the numbers when it came to costs of laptops. My assumption would be an average was used. The reporter uses on source, a link to a website called, The Laptop Foundation and it is listed clearly and in full.

Event Coverage

I am choosing this event: Mount Eerie (band) at the First Amendment Gallery on Oct. 22 at 7p.m. $7 all ages
The advance can be found at citypages.com here.

There are no sources used in this advance, although there are quite a few references to the leader of this band's personal past in the music scene. The angle is not very good for promoting this band. The writer seems bitter about the leader leaving his old band and starting this solo band, Mount Eerie. He at one point says, "these train-wreck solo jaunts probably pay the bills" (citypages.com Ray Cummings ). Calling the show a train wreck, crafts the listing as a train wreck and makes me not want to go to this show, or maybe go to warn Mount Eerie that a local reporter has it out for him.

Meeting/Press Conference

Here is the press release:http://www.governor.state.mn.us/mediacenter/pressreleases/PROD008322.html
Here is the article on MPR: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/09/27/healthcomm/

I found this interesting because the Press release discusses the new Minnesota Health Commissioner who was appointed by Tim Pawlenty in September. It talks about her credentials and her history with the health in Minnesota. The article chooses to focus on the controversy over the last health commissioner and her refusal to release public data. There is even a quote in regards to a reporter asking the new Commissioner if there would ever be a time when she would withhold public information. The reporter chose to write about the controversy instead of the Commissioner’s credentials, which made for a more interesting read.

First Day Follow Story

First Day Story: http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1462417.html
Second Day Story: http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1464264.html

The lead in the first story discusses some of the evidence the jury for this trial has to look at to determine if the woman in the story is guilty of illegal file sharing. The lead in the second story discusses how the recording industry was found victorious in this case and the woman was found guilty.
The main news in the first story focused on the evidence the jury was presented with to prove Jammie Thomas guilty. The main news in the second story focuses on how the recording industry can use this case as a warning against illegal file sharing and downloading.
The second story advances the news by letting the reader know Thomas was found guilty of the case presented in the first story.

Structures

I will be refering to this story in the Star Tribune in regards to my analysis of story structures.

This story seemed confusing for an online story because the Minnesota smoking ban is effective tomorrow, Oct. 1. The story keeps referring to the ban being in effect today. I understand the story was published at 9p.m. and more than likely refers to "today" because it is for the paper that will print tomorrow, but I felt it should be edited for the online version (today could be changed to tomorrow). The progression of the information seems a bit confusing. It refers to Wisconson bars doubling thier waitstaff and expecting more clientele in the lead but does not mention the smoking ban until the second paragraph. I found the story well written and it is of interest to me because I am really looking forward to a smokefree indoor environment through out the whole state of Minnesota, however I felt that the story needed to get to the point sooner.

Attribution

I am using this story fromt the Star Tribune as my resource: click here

There are two sources named in this story, the soldier and Govenor Tim Pawlenty. They are scattered through out the story and yes the information is from people. The reporter clearly set up the attribution by naming who is saying the quotes.

Leads

"Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani called for a cup of coffee Thursday morning, took off his rimless glasses and embarked on a 20-minute tutorial of his presidential campaign."-courtesy of the Star Tribune

This news lead works for this story because it answers these questions of the reader: Who, What, When, Why. The Where is answered in the following sentence, which is a local St. Paul coffee shop. Because of this location I feel the reporter chose to use a more candid approach to the lead instead of a more straight forward approach. If Guiliani was visiting Minnesota for the upcoming Rupublican debate, then a more straight forward approach would be best.