Twin Studies

One of the concepts that we went over in class recently is the idea of twin studies. This seemed to have only a normal amount of significance to me until we got to the topic of nature vs. nurture. It seems to me that a twin study would be as close to perfect as one could achieve when studying this psychological debate about whether or not it is genes or the environment in which one is raised that effect them the most. Since identical twins have the same genes, the environment would be the only independent variable, and would allow for a more complete study of the effects of nature vs. nurture. The only problem is that for a study such as this to be complete, it seems to me the twins would have to be separated at birth. This seems like a completely inhumane concept to me. However, it happened. In 1968, Peter Neubauer and Viola Bernard conducted what they thought was a nearly perfect study. And it seems to me that's the case. They separated a pair of identical twins at birth and gave them to two different adoptive families. They continued to study the twins as they grew up. The study was never published because one of the leaders of the experiment thought the general public would be upset about it. Therefore, the results are in a file somewhere at Yale until 2066. But, personally, I think the results of such a study would provide a valuable insight into this ongoing debate.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15629096

twinstogether_540.jpg