Music Changes Perception- David Cesnik Section 26

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110427101606.htm

A recent research from the University of Groningen claimed that listening to happy music rendered the participant to perceive the world around them as a happier place, and listening to sad music as a more depressing world. This was tested by the participant listening to a song while identifying smiling and frowning faces. The results were not only that happy music persuaded the participant to see more happy faces (even when there were not as many smiling faces), the participant saw more sad faces when listening to the sad music too. Their conclusion from this experiment was that "that the brain builds up expectations not just on the basis of experience but on your mood as well."
  I firmly believe that this is a valid claim and the experiment is completely legitimate. The test offered a consistent result that was only changed by the independent variable, the kind of music playing. This matters to the real world because this now opens the doors to possible treatment for many kinds of attitude diseases or disorders. Listening to positive music could possible assist in the treatment of depression for example. This personally makes sense to me as well because I always feel better about my day when I walk to class listening to music that makes me happy, like Israel kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."
  Some possible further research could be made as to what effect other kinds of music could have on a person, or how effective positive music can have on a sick or depressed person. If there is some medical merit to listening to happy music, there could be major changes to the treating of certain diseases or disorders.