Miracle Diets Require..... Miracles? Blog #2

It is hard to imagine that a person can lose ten pounds in two days by only consuming 400 calories a day. I know I have been sick before, having not eaten anything for two days, and I can assure you I did not lose ten pounds. But such is the claim of the Hollywood 48 Hour Miracle Diet found at http://www.diet.com/g/hollywood-diet. Naturally, I was curious to find out more about this extraordinary claim, and upon further examination of the article, it proudly boasts over 10 million users, but no where does it mention the results (or lack there of) seen by these people. Where the diet came from, what it is, and what it does are all topics mentioned, but the all important "HOW?!" is mysteriously never discussed. According to the fifth principle of scientific thinking, the crazier the claim, the crazier the evidence necessary to support it. However, this article quotes, "...there is no research on the Hollywood diets being safe or effective..." Apparently, even in Hollywood, miracles are too good to be true. On the other hand, there is a wealth of information about how to use the product correctly, precautions and risks, and possible benefits, but none have been proven by scientific research, which is the main issue with this article.

48.jpg

-Becci Osterdyk

It's crazy to think that this kind of stuff is actually out there and even crazier to think that people fall for it! Every diet ad I've ever seen is over reliant on anecdotes. The "users" of the products stating that they lost 50 lbs in 2 weeks. Our book tells us that this is a big warning sign in ads. Needless to say I agree with you that this is an extraordinary claim and I wouldn't recommend the product to anyone haha

This "miracle diet" also scares me thinking how people can take such an extraordinary claim seriously. However, what frightens me even more is the potential for a user to take the product incorrectly. If someone is not observant enough to realize that a drink cannot make one lose 10 pounds in two day, I do not think that they will be cautious enough to read the directions/warranting labels. The likelihood of an overdose on this product seems high. Being a business student, it seems very unethical for the creators and manufactures of this product to be in operation.

It's ridiculous to think people would actually be desperate enough to usethese unproven and potentially dangerous chemicals without a second thought. How can companies be legally allowed to sell these products? I feel that this says a lot about our society and how people are ready to believe "miracle" remedies and expect instant results rather than do things the good old fashioned way.

As my mom always said "If something seems too good to be true, it is". I have always believed that to be true on some level. Nonetheless, I googled the Hollywood diet, read their website and found myself swept away by the fancy graphics and promises that I too, could lose 20 pounds in only 3 days. Then I remembered that this website is a living example of "extraordinary claims" lacking evidence and came to my senses. It goes to show that even being aware of the facts does not make one immune to these claims- that's why companies like that still exist.
Also, I noticed that one of their cookies from their "miracle cookie diet" has a nearly identical nutritional profile to that of 2 slices of wonder-bread. Thinking of the diet plan as a wonder-bread feast and not as a miracle cookie detox makes it seem a lot less fantastic.

It's incredible to me that products like this actually sell. You don't need to be in a psychology class to realize how incredibly far-fetched this is. The idea that extraordinary claims must be backed up by extraordinary evidence is something that is very common sense, or at least should be for most people. Ten pounds in two days, with no explanation of why? I truly feel sorry for the kind of people that spend their money on things like this. The small amount of data I read on the website did list all of the vitamins that drinkers would be consuming, and also the fact that there is NO protein. This is something that is very worrisome, as protein is an incredibly important part of our diet. Furthermore, even if someone did drink only this for two days, lost ten pounds, and found it to be successful (which they probably would not), as soon as normal eating habits are picked up again the person would just gain it back. Starving yourself isn't a healthy or effective way to lose weight.

Unfortunately, we tend to lean (no pun intended) to any quick fix that promises weight loss without much effort. Being that America is considered one of the fattest countries in the world, it’s no surprise to me that there are these “miracle diets”, consisting of fat-burning drinks and pills advertised all over in our televisions, billboards, buses and magazines. The American society prizes thin, toned stomachs and muscular arms making it hard for us to strive to be anything other. Falling victim to any of these claims is inevitable for many of us.