There's no point in being nuts if you can't have a little fun

The concept of reality seems to be a pretty basic element of daily life. However, the perception of reality may be skewed or broken for individuals suffering from a psychological disorder called Schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia along with several other psychological disorders are discussed throughout chapter 15 in the course textbook. This section grabbed my attention because I have always had an interest in the field of abnormal psychology. Although severe cases of disorders such as Schizophrenia are not extremely common in the population, it is still an extraordinary field that requires a lot of attention to be fully understood. Individuals who suffer from Schizophrenia struggle on a daily basis fighting delusions and other distortions in reality. Having this disorder does not confine you to a psych ward. A great illustration of the struggle with Schizophrenia can be seen in the movie A Beautiful Mind which depicts Nobel Prize-winning mathematician John Nash's life and his ability to overcome the disorder in his daily life. The clip below is a scene that shows Nash's struggle between his reality and the clear hallucinations he sees.

The movie had a big influence on me the first time I saw it, and I am excited to watch it again after learning even more about psychological disorders during this class.