3D Sounds

Vote 1 Vote

Everyone has heard about the "teen buzz" or the mosquito ringtone that so many middle school and high school students once had. But does anyone know about 3-Dimensional sounds? While thinking about what to write this blog on, I remembered a YouTube video I had seen. My friend put their Dr. Dre Beats headphones on my head and told me to close my eyes while they played this video. Rather than just hearing the noises, they appear to be 3-Dimensional. I thought that the plane was actually flying closer and closer to me, and I started to get a little scared in my seat and opened my eyes. I remember when I was younger, my family would drag me, yes, literally drag me, into the 3D attractions at Disneyland. It is spooky how they have the ability to jump out at you; images appear to be in your face, but in reality they are flat on the screen. This 3D sound isn't exactly the same as a different frequency that an older person can't hear, but it is still an amazing human sensory adaptation. The sounds trick your brain into thinking they are 3D, but actually it's a range of phases and sound waves. But don't just take my word for how trippy this 3D sound is, and how similar to the "teen buzz" sensory adaptation it is. Listen for yourself. Sit back, close your eyes, and open your ears to 3-Dimensional sound.

Wow, this is amazing! If really sounds like the people talking are right next to you and walking around the room. This reminds me, like you talked about, the 3D and 4D shows at Disneyworld where the movie looked like it came out at you and you were right in the room with all the actions. It is incredible how small things can trick your mind into perceiving things differently than they truly are.

This is very impressive and a little startling at first! Learning about how our minds function to produce our perception of the world around us is fascinating, and has lead to some incredible things! This specific idea enhances our music and audio information from movies and films. The 3D and 4D movies at theme parks also utilize technology such as this (among other things) to give an experience that is very memorable. Learning about the ways that our brains work has given us ability to create amazing technologies and will continue to do so in the future.

After listening to this my interest in the human mind has grown significantly. How our brains can interpret auditory signals into forming a almost 3-D surrounding is fascinating. This information on how our brains interpret these signals could play a significant role in music, video games, and movies by making everything more realistic. Seeing science progress like this also makes me wonder about what it will be like 50 years from now. Will mankind reach a point to where they know everything about the brain and could simulate reality without you being conscious? (For lack of another example The Matrix)

Listening to this video really freaked me out. The first clicking noise sent chills down my back when the sound appeared to transfer behind me, and when the blow dryer noise was going around I could sense the air blowing on me as well. This goes to show how our senses really rely on each other when we have full use of them. Especially because humans are so reliant on visual stimulus, most people will be able to visualize the images moving around them in their head while listening to a video like this.

Listening to these sounds I was freaking out. Especially since I had my eyes closed, I really got the full effect of the sounds. How is it that such simple things such as a box of matches rattling can trick the mind in a weird way?
So it makes me wonder, when watching movies in the theater, it's quite amazing how engrossed you can become, but if we were to watch them with headphones, would we feel more like we are a part of the scene rather than the audience? They should do a study about that.

I had my first experience with this in high school and it was weird. I now find it much more interesting though. I found myself really "seeing" what was going on by just the sounds. I think that this aspect is even more interesting and it would be nice to know more about it and what causes it.

Crazy! I had to show this to my whole family when i heard it. I never thought that sound alone could be 3D. Our brains are truly fascinating when it comes to filling in missing details. It makes me wonder, is this how blind people perceive the world around them? The thing about using only sound is that when we can't associate a previous visual stimulus with the sound than it is harder to "see" the sound in our minds.

This video is excellent, as a previous commenter stated it is indeed fascinating how our brain interprets this "auditory illusion" as if it were coming from a different part of the room. This illusion is quite similar to that of a visual illusion in that the brain is tricking us into thinking something is happening when it really is not. Also, I find this type of audio very enjoyable when listening to music. One can hear the instruments as if they were being played live and are very spacial as if they are coming from different sides of the room around you.

This is video amazed me. At first I did not believe that my mind would fall for this trick until I watched the video. I actually believed all these sounds were happening in real life and I wanted to look around and see where they were coming from. I would defiantly recommend this to any one who is into movie-making.

Wow! That is crazy. Thanks for sharing the video. When closing your eyes while listening to it, it really does make it come alive. So strange. I have gone to many 3D shows before, but have never experienced this "3D auditory."