Sleep and Learn

Many people believe it is possible to learn while you are sleeping. However, research has proven it false. Because correlation does not always mean causation it is hard to prove if people are actually asleep when they are "learning." One way I like to learn though is by memorizing information right before I go to bed. When I wake up I feel as if the information is better organized and I can remember it easier. I do not know if this has anything to do with being asleep or not, but it defiantly helps. When I did research on whether or not this could be related to sleeping I found interesting reasons why they may be correlated. One reason is your mind is most clear right before you go to bed which makes learning easier. Another is sleeping is crucial for memory, whether the information is short-term or long-term it is easier for the brain to remember things at night. learning+in+sleep.jpg

I think it is a good point because there is a misconception about the relationship between sleeping and learning. We still can study, even thought we are sleeping and I think it is a good time for studying due to the clear mind and we have more time thinking or focus on one thing and I usually like to read some books before I sleep and it is very efficient because I do remember what I read after few days. Just try to be calm and think about what did we do today before sleeping, you will find something useful!

You make some interesting points in your blog! I'm curious to know how you learn right before falling asleep. Do you do what the man in the picture does: put some headphones in and tune into a lecture? After a long day of classes, sometimes the last thing I want to do is homework; but like the evidenced you mentioned, studying at night can sometimes help you. I've heard before that sleeping is great for storing things, long or short-term memory. This is why it's better to get a good night's rest versus pulling an all-nighter before an exam.

You do make a good point. I always listen to music before I go to bed, and that often then plays through the night, and when I was younger and did not share a room with others I listened to the radio. In the days following I would often find myself familiar with things that I never remembered learning, or knowing lyrics to a song that I wouldn't necessarily choose to listen to regularly but would cycle through my playlists and I could find myself completely singing along. Your point about sleeping being crucial to memory makes me wonder whether or not this plays factor in it or if this is yet another thing of cause does not mean correlation.

I agree with the points above, saying that when you sleep the information you just study is allowed to sink in. When I took psych in high school, I remember hearing that sleep is necessary for learning and memorizing. This is why I disagree with the argument that pulling an all-nighter will help you do well on a test. I would argue that it is more beneficial to study as much as you can but also get enough sleep to let that information sink in. It is impossible to cram so much before an exam because you won't remember it and you will be tired and unfocused during the exam.

I have experienced the same things, where when I study right before bed, I remember stuff very well in the morning. This is why I always try to get a full night sleep before an exam. I never really thought about why this happened though, so reading your post made me think about this phenomena more deeply.

I completely agree with you! I always learn something best while in bed- the environment is quiet and I am more focused. I have never fully understood why though, do I remember better before bed versus a quiet environment in the library for example? Another tactic I have found helpful is to stand up (or even pace while trying to remember something) but does this have any correlation to better strategies to memorize such as studying before going to sleep?

I think this is a very interesting subject and I am curious as to why people think you learn why sleeping. It makes sense why studying before bed is efficient; but I do not understand why some people have thought that we learn in our sleep. I do think studying before bed increases learning. I always look over my notes for exams right before I go to bed and again in the morning and most of the time I remember everything that I looked over before I went to bed. I think we learn best before bed because our brain does not have many other things to process or think about right before going to bed. I know I am usually more stressed out during the day than I am at nighttime so this could be another reason. I also think that knowing I will be rewarded with sleep after I memorize my notes also makes me study harder. I am curious about learning while people sleep so I am going to research it to see if I find out any more information.

I agree with this blog in that it is true that you don’t learn while asleep. In the cases where it seems that one is learning in their sleep, most of the time the individual isn’t truly asleep. They tend to learn material because they are able to focus on learning the new language or skill. Sleeping gives your body the opportunity to retain the memories and information that you learned previous to falling asleep. I study before bed all the time because my mind is mostly clear up until falling asleep. I feel most at ease at this moment. I also believe that sleeping is crucial to memory because when I don’t get enough sleep, I find it very hard to recall facts, focus, and concentrate. Sleeping seems like a time where the brain is able to organize everything that happened during the day and sort it out into categories of importance. That explains why many people may wake up feeling that the information that they learned the night or day before is organized and ready to be used during the day.

I know exactly what you're saying. I always save studying for the last part of my nightly routine because if you I study before I sleep, i find myself remembering the information better and doing considerably better on tests and quizzes. I feel if one studies every night before he or she goes to sleep, they'll find themselves doing better academically and research even proves this. Great post, good advice to our academic community.