What Does the Difference in Conciousness Between Waking and Sleeping Tell us About Ourselves?

This portion of the video is what I found particularly interesting because it answers a question that we have all asked ourselves many times. Why do I feel like a different person while I am sleeping? Why do I dream things I would sometimes never consider in reality? When we are awake we are completely different people in a different world than when we are dreaming. Our levels of consciousness are totally different, why? This is an interesting thought. According to the evidence from the video, it is because the different portions of the brain are cut off from communicating with each other and because of that, our level of consciousness is much lower. When we are awake, our brain responds to stimuli in many different ways, we can access all five senses at once and be aware of it. When we are sleeping our brain cannot communicate with its different parts. This is most likely the reason why we feel so different, not only are we apart form reality, our level of consciousness is lower and therefore, we are not our normal selves. What I would like to know is how this effects our dreams and what parts of the brain are most active while we are sleeping.

I was doing some research and found that the most active brain regions during sleep are in the inferior frontal gyrus, the parahippocampal gyrus, the precuneus and the posterior cingulate cortex, as well as in the brainstem and cerebellum.

These areas of the brain increase during non-REM sleep when there are slow oscillations of brain waves occurring.