Rushing Into Things

cross_cultural.jpeg

As a student of business, I found it particularly interesting to write about the study of cross-cultural decision making tactics. It is said that in Western cultures, decisions are made much more rapidly and on impulse than in Eastern cultures. While Eastern cultures are generally more reserved to begin with, their every day culture is reflected in their corporate culture as well. What strikes me most about these findings is that people are people, but their ways of going about problems are drastically different and do tend to vary by regions. A manager in the US would be willing to seal a deal and fix a problem immediately and deal with the kinks and issues as they come. A manager in China however, would be much more hesitant to make any final decisions until all of the kinks were sorted out ensuring a smooth transition and solution to the initial problem.

Various approches to problem solving include algorithms - step by step procedures, or breaking up larger problems into smaller sub problems. The speeds at which these are implemented and executed at, however, can cause issues and glitches in cross-cultural operations as everyone is most comfortable moving at their own pace rather than at someone else's. Regardless, I know that to solve problems in whatever career I end up in, I will be able to use such tactics to solve the problem and move on. Algorithms especially seem to be right up my alley, but one burning question still eats at me at the end of the day. What happens if a business deal falls through because of miscommunicated solutions or discomfort among problem solving techniques because one group moved too fast or the other too slow. What happens then and how can cross-cultural business deals continue?

While reading this post, the question that came to my mind was "Can't be that hard, can it?" The reason I say this, is because even though there are different problem solving and decision making strategies for different regions, with the amount of international trade and business being conducted between many western and eastern businesses, obviously someone figured out how to bridge that strategy gap. Never the less, it would still be interesting to be a part of one of these types of deals, just to see how difficult it could actually be.

I once took a seminar about this topic which explained the differences between cultures and how different regions/cultures deal with this. I found it extremely interesting. Like the post before me said "international trade is being conducted between many businesses" however, I still believe there are many differences and discrepancies between the cultures. This is why classes about business, international trade, etc. are there to teach others how to understand different cultures and work effectively. I think this would be an extremely interesting part of business.

I am a business student as well and find this very interesting. We learned a lot about this in my management class. We learned about all the differences between the different cultures and different things that you should be aware of when doing business in other countries. One real life example I experienced was when I was in Mexico. We were at a restaurant and we had been finished for a long time but the waiter didn't get us our check for a long time. It just kind of shows that they like to take their time and we are used to such a fast paced life. I think this probably reflects how they make decisions compared to how we do.

I find it interesting that you use algorithms as your problem solving strategy when our lectures on memory and problem solving stated that people tend to rely on heuristics while computers tend to rely on algorithms. I think that relying on algorithms to solve problems when dealing with people of other cultures would cause less misunderstandings due to the objectivity of algorithms. From my management class last semester I learned that never making assumptions and being very detailed with explanations of business agreements can improve communication across countries.