Clowns are scary

Clowns are scary. Examine the picture below. He may look colorful and cuddly- but he's a murderous one.

images.jpg

Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns. Some people consider this an irrational fear, and as rare as it is, I have a friend that panics and has an anxiety attack whenever she sees a clown or an image of a clown anywhere. Reading about phobias in chapter 15- it interested me that this is the most common of all anxiety disorders. Agoraphobia is surprising common, occurring in one in 20 people. This is the fear of social embarrassment. Social phobias are commonly experienced in the milder form- where you are afraid of speaking in public or presenting in front of a small group of people. Magnified by several times would bring you to experience a social phobia full scale. Showing up in public is difficult for people like this as they are constantly surrounded by people and feel the pressure of people watching them. Reading about phobias makes me exceedingly grateful that I live a relatively fear-free life.

But this opens up many other questions like whether phobias can be genetic and the different ways to deal with them. Genetic phobias could be connected to the evolutionary 'mild' fear most people experience when faced with spiders of snakes- as they could pose a threat and be dangerous to ones well-being.

Like you, I don't really have any phobias or huge fears. I did have a friend in high school who was claustrophobic and I could never understand how she could be. I wonder if it is more of a genetic phobia or just an acquired one. The idea of a small fear completely overpowering your life is very strange to me, but that's what makes it all the more interesting!