Implicit Associations Test - Questionable?

For my blog entry, I decided to complete the Implicit Associations Test (IAT). I completed a study about a fake type of laundry detergent where the level of trustworthiness of the product had been manipulated by a high-trust source. I was asked to image that a consumer protection board wrote the passage I read about the product. This manipulation was supposed to make me acquire a high trust for the product; but what I found when reading that passage was that it didn't seem reliable. For one, the wording of the passage wasn't very convincing, it just didn't seem that someone from a well-known public relations firm had written it, but instead it seemed someone without a lot of public relations experience had written it. So as a result, I decided right then and there that I most likely wouldn't by the product, and if I were to buy the product, it would be because it was significantly cheaper than the laundry detergent I normally buy.
When reading my results, it was found that because the product was demonstrated as being a highly trusted product, it was easier for me to correlate the detergent with positive words or images. But, that wasn't accurate to how I really felt about purchasing the product. This being said, it is unclear to me whether the IAT measures prejudice as much as awareness of stereotypes. I feel I am a fairly unprejudiced person, but my results correctly perceive what the IAT's perception of what much of American mainstreams society would perceive; but that makes me question how accurate the IAT's perception of America's mainstream society is.
This being said, I think this test could be used for purposes that are more basic. In addition, it would probably be most accurate when used on young citizens who aren't yet very "aware".