Love the Way You Lie

When I read the pages about lying in the textbook I was intrigued about all the different techniques that have been attempted in order to create the perfect lie detector. It would no doubt be a useful skill to be able to tell when someone is lying. It would certainly help the judicial system. Lying seems almost like a science in its own, because its different for everybody. The studies involved in lying are very complex, making me curious if there will ever be a sure-fire way to tell if someone is lying. Does anybody really have a subconscious "tell" when they lie? I would also like to know if there are similarities between the people who the lie detector works for. Are there specific types of people who the lie detector will always work for? I almost think that different types of lie detectors could be tailored for certain people. I also find it interesting that some people think they are good at catching a lie, but probably aren't. Overall lying is a very interesting concept and to me, is probably so complex that it may never be truly mastered to tell when a person is lying, just because everyone is so different in this field.

I agree that lying is different for everyone and what comes to mind when I think about that is poker. Everyone knows poker is a lot in the luck of the cards. But then how do professional's seem to make it to the final tables regularly? It's all in the tell's, whether they can figure out how their opponents. I read a book where a teenager had a knack for picking up on people's tell's after a certain amount of time. Everyone's tell during a bluff was different and isn't all a bluff is, is a lie? I think we will never truely figure out a 100% way to figure out if people are lying, but one thing to look into to maybe is people's own individual "tell's."

I agree with you, it would enhance the criminal justice system's accuracy exponentially. In my class on the Introduction to the Criminal Justice system, we talked about multiple cases where people spent dozens of years in prison and even on death row for a crime the DNA evidence later proved they did not commit. However, they were still given the verdict of guilty due to the fact of a false confession. Since I have thankfully never been in the same situation, I do not understand how someone can be battered enough to the point where they are driven to falsely confess to a crime they did not commit, but if there were some trusted way to detect if someone was lying, the problem would be solved. It also does not help that law enforcement officials so frequently believe themselves to be adept at lie detecting, when in reality that is usually not the case.

As horrible as it sounds, lying has always come really easy to me. I don't really have a tell tale sign of when I lie that I am aware of; that's why I think it is hard for people to say "Oh I can tell when people are lying because they..." I feel like a machine may be the only way to actually give some clue to when people are lying. I like what you said about having a machine for different types of people, because even some people can cheat the machine.

I too thought the section on lying and lie detection was very intriguing. Although many tests do show accuracy in determining a person's integrity, those who are pathological liars, can beat the system. Unfortunately, those are the people we need to look out for. I agree with commenter 1 in that as long as people are continuing to make methods to determine if a person is lying, liars will continue to find loopholes in the system thus creating a never ending cycle of lying and conviction. As sad as it is, lying is a part of human nature. People choose to lie about all different kinds of things, but in the end I believe it is a problem that will never be solved.

I had a friend who always touched her nose when she was lying or avoiding answering a question. One might say that the only reason I knew she was lying was because we were such close friends and I knew her habits. I can't lie very well at all. I don't think it's totally because of the "telltale" signs I exhibit but because I feel it's wrong and just can't do it. I think a lot of the "ways" people can tell someone is lying are common indicators. Then again depending on the question one might give off the impression they're lying just because they're nervous. If I was to be interrogated by a police officer, it wouldn't matter if I was telling the 100% truth, I'd be so nervous that they'd think I was lying anyway! Just because I'd be afraid to maintain eye contact, would fidget, and would be sweating.

Lying is one of those things that can be different for so many people. Some people's eyes, voices, or body movement shows they are lying yet others there is no physical difference. I always questioned lie detector tests, especially on those shows like Maury where the audience believes whatever the test claims. Sometimes I wish there was a set way that we could tell if someone was lying. It would be so much easier for criminal cases and for police and the judicial system.

Since human beings have existed, so has lying. That may explain people's fascination with the concept. People want to believe there is a sure-fire way to tell whether or not people are lying; that is why the lie-detector has become so popular: there is hope in one device. Wouldn't it be nice if all we had to do to get the truth out of someone was strap them to a machine or see if their eyes dilate? But evolution isn't that stupid. People are naturally adaptive, which is probably why lying exists in the first place, but where there is a way to tell whether people are lying, there is a way to not let people know whether or not you are lying. So while the lie detector may be better than chance at spotting fibbers, until there is a 100% accuracy rate in it we should be wary of trusting a machine.

I definitely would not claim to have any telepathic abilities to know what someone was thinking or to read anyone's mind. However, I have always been a person overly in-tune with my surroundings which I think plays in my role of telling if someone may be lying. From observing a person for quite a bit of time, I usually can pick up on little cues that one does when feeling a certain way. Many are unaware of the physical actions they give as hints to how they are feeling. For example, I had a friend who would grab onto her necklace whenever we were telling her parents that we were going to go out and "study" at the library when really we were not (I am sure you're not so innocent of doing something similar). It was just little things like that that I was able to notice which aided in me knowing when someone was not exactly telling the truth.