« Phenomena | Main | The dual perspective... »

Oppositions

Interestingly enough, in truly viewing oppositions this past week, I have come to observe that many things that oppose one another in some way also end up working together.
My first example comes from a news story I read this morning about outer space. A galaxy colided with another creating an opposition (a beautiful yet destructive one at that). Through this collision, new stars were born. Through the death of two galaxies something (stars in this case) was reborn.
A more common approach to an opposition would be seasons. Fall is an opposition to spring. In fall things are dying and it is becoming cold while in spring things are coming to life and warming up, both are beautiful seasons although directly they are oppositions. Winter and summer are more drastic in the changes that take place. Interestingly enough through these differences the four connect they coexist with one another.
All though this may seem abstract I also thought of the human mind and how our thoughts can act as oppositions. The mind is moving rapidly from one idea to another and often in radically different directions. It can be used as a The mind is both a powerful tool and an equally powerful distraction. It can harm us and save us.
Finally, relationships are a form of opposition. The energy of two people is exchanged (for better or for worse) and this can be a tug of war at times, because both are competing for the balance which for some... may never be fulfilled.
There are two underlying themes I realized from recognizing these specific oppositions and many others. Oppositions are chaotic and peaceful, simplistic and complex, they can be molded, shaped, and changed, and often times they return to their original form. It is an amazing philosophical view to the underlying world of our society our people and our enviornment, and oppositions exist with in them all. Architecture can choose to ignore or embrace these beautiful yet challenging ideas of our universe and I think that this is one of the many things architects and all aspects of design and people in general have to think about as they thrust their ideas into the world.