Megachurch pastor in gay sex allegations

By Justin Reis

Georgia megachurch pastor denies accusations that he approached young men into engaging in sexual relationships.

Bishop Eddie long, 57, of the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church of Lithonia, Georgia, is being sued by four men all saying Long seduced them. MSNBC reports that two of the young men were a part of the LongFellows Youth Academy, run by the church, which teaches teens about sexual and financial obedience.

"I'm not a perfect man, but this thing I'm going to fight," Long said to his 25,000-member congregation. According to MSNBC the crowd roared Sunday when he said, "I am not the man portrayed on television."

Long has been a long-time opponent of gay marriage.

According to The Washington Post and the lawsuits, Long persuaded the four men into homosexual acts with jewelry, cars, vacations, and access to celebrities.

"I will fight this" paired with "I am not a perfect man" gives him room to settle the accusations, The Washington Post reported.

This page contains a single entry by reisx066 published on September 26, 2010 10:37 PM.

Recent floods spotlight three counties was the previous entry in this blog.

Analysis: 'I'm under attack,' Georgia bishop accused of sexual misconduct tells church is the next entry in this blog.