Pastor comes out after recent student's suicide

By Justin Reis

A Georgia megachurch founder and pastor decides to come out of the closet after the September suicide of a Rutgers University student, according to CNN.

Bishop Jim Swilley, 52, said "There comes a point in your life where you say,'how much time do we have left in our lives? Are we going to be authentic or not?'" He also said this was the tipping point for him.

Tyler Clementi, 18, was a Rutgers student that jumped off a bridge after a secretly-taped sexual encounter between him and another man was posted on the internet, reported CNN.

Swilley said he has always known he is gay since he was a child. He never thought he would live openly, reported CNN.

He wife of 20 years still works at their megachurch. Swilley is a father of four from two marriages.

Swilley said "you are who are" in a recent interview.

Reported by CNN, "What I told my church is that I was given two things in my life that I didn't ask for... one is the call of God in my life and the other is my orientation. I didn't ever think that those two things could be compatible," Swilley said.

According to the Huffington Post, he told CNN his wife encouraged him to come out years ago, but he told her, "These words will never come out of my mouth."

This page contains a single entry by reisx066 published on November 14, 2010 8:22 PM.

Pastor comes out after recent student's suicide was the previous entry in this blog.

Don Shelby retires from WCCO after 32 years is the next entry in this blog.