Week 5

Last Week's definition: "As I have begun reading more about different types of leadership it has begun to become more apparent to me that not only is being a leader about being there for the people you are leading, but it is bettering yourself for them as well. I think that it is important for leaders to learn exactly what the people they are trying to lead need and to adapt to those needs. A leader must be consistently bettering themselves, therefore bettering the whole team. At the same time, I think it is possible for a leader to have multiple, ever-changing leadership styles, but only because a leader must being doing what is best for their team.:

This Week's Definition: I still believe that a leader is most effective when they consistently keep the best interest of the group in the forefront of their minds, as I defined in my first post. In addition to my thoughts last week about leaders needing to better themselves in order to make the team better, I think that leaders must analyze why they lead in a certain way and why they lead, period. Leaders need to feel personal satisfaction, in accordance with their personal values, from the position they are in as a leader and the goals they are trying to accomplish.

Analysis of the differences: The Lee & King reading really hit home for me this week. I realized that not only does a leader need to better themselves, but they need to know and understand 'why' they are bettering themselves. According to Lee & King, "effective leadership depends first on one's personal vision and then one's leadership vision." (Lee & King, 2001, p. 31) I understand now that it is extremely important to be aware of why you are being a leader, taking into account your values, past, motivation and future aspirations. It finally clicked for me that being a leader is so much more than getting people to accomplish what you want them to, there are two sides to this story and the leader is equally as important.

Sources:
Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision."
Discovering the Leader in You: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 31 - 54). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.

Great! This is much improved.

Grade: 10 out of 10 possible
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points of 2 possible
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points of 6 possible
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points of 2 possible