Week 6 - Ethics

Last week's definition: I still believe that a leader is most effective when they consistently keep the best interest of the group in the forefront of their minds, as I defined in my first post. In addition to my thoughts last week about leaders needing to better themselves in order to make the team better, I think that leaders must analyze why they lead in a certain way and why they lead, period. Leaders need to feel personal satisfaction, in accordance with their personal values, from the position they are in as a leader and the goals they are trying to accomplish.

This week's definition: This week I reaffirmed my beliefs that leaders are most effective when they are working toward the best interest of the group and changing according to their evolving needs, are consistently working to become a better person and routinely perform personal 'checks' of why they are acting and leading the way that they are. Expanding on that, I think that it is pertinent that leaders clearly define their ethical beliefs and be aware of any changes in those beliefs. It is critical that they examine every leadership decision from both sides and an ethical lens.

Analysis of Differences: The reading this week really hit home for me. I never realized that there are so many reasons why there are ethical differences, as stated in the Paul & Elder readings. I also found the steps to the logic of ethics extremely helpful, this provides a simple check for a leader to make sure they are making the correct decision. (Paul & Elder, 2006, p 4-36) However, the thing that stuck out to me the most was the two lessons learned in the Kidder reading. That first, every ethical situation has two sides, one from each person, and that making an ethical decision requires in-depth thinking of each side and meeting in the middle. (Kidder, 2003, p 22)

Sources:
Paul, R., & Elder, L. (2006). "The Function of Ethics -- and Its Main Impediement." Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Reasoning (pp. 4 - 36). Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking.
Kidder, R. M. (2003). "Overview: The ethics of right vs. right." How Good People Make Tough Choices (pp. 13 - 29). New York: Simon & Schuster.

Grade: 10 out of 10 possible
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points of 2 possible
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points of 6 possible
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points of 2 possible