Voice Class - Journal 2

Chapter 3 Reflection

I think it's interesting how our voices reflect us...who we are and where we come from. It's also very interesting how you can listen to people around you, family members and friends and you all have some kind of vocal connection. The section on personal voice perceptions reminded me of reading something similar to the personal perception when you play an instrument. The sound I hear coming out of my horn from up close is much different that what it sounds like out in the hall or farther away. I'm beginning to realize more connections that I thought with singing and playing an instrument.

Posted by renz0007 at 11:16 PM

Voice Class - Journal 1

I'm excited to be in voice class. I'm not really sure what to expect but I'm trying to go into it with an open mind. It's a required component to the instrumental music education degree. That is the main reason I'm in the class. I think it will be a good opportunity to learn some new things relating to music that will make me a better teacher someday, and probably even a better horn player. I know one of my issues with horn playing is phrasing, and I've been told that I should listen to some opera singers because they are the best at phrasing and using air to create it. I don't exactly expect to go that deep into singing during my first semester of voice class though, but I'm sure it won't hurt!

Singing better myself will help me immediately in teaching private horn lessons. I always sing parts and have the kids sing their music and I'm sure that having a better sound coming out of my mouth will only help them as well.

Posted by renz0007 at 10:21 PM