Crazy - Crazy storming of brains in here!!
This week I ran a brainstorming session with 6 people to gain more ideas related to my sub-theme. To gain a better perspective into the session, I invited a wide variety of ages (from 12-50+) and professions (electrical engineer, middle school student, college student, recent grad and eye doctor). Before the brainstorming session began, I introduced blue sky idea generation and some of the research behind it. We then played 4 improvisational warm-up exercises:
- Zip, Zap, Zop: This game was played to break through some shyness and make the atmosphere a little more comfortable
- Look at me: This game was played to give people a chance to observe and relate movement and ideas
- Tigers and bears: This game was played to introduce rapid idea generation
- Don't do it, love it! This is an original game that consisted of three parts:
- 'I don't do that because...' This is where each person takes turns offering an idea which is then rejected by all others who say 'I don't do that because...'
- 'I love that because...' This is where each person again takes turns offering an idea which is then accepted by all others who say 'I love that because...'
- 'Clapping' This is where each person yet again takes turns offering an idea which is then accepted by all others who clap and smile at the person speaking
- how might we protect the head, ears face and/or neck during winter?
- how might we look good wearing head/ear/neck/face protection?
- how might we make head/ear/neck/face protection portable? (This question was actually combined into number 2 due to time constraints)
Here is some of the group sorting!
and here is a category that was decided:
Once the categories were decided, everyone combined a minimum of 3 ideas from the pool into a product to appeal to young, college-aged, and older aged people. Each person named their creation and gave a short pitch to the group. Some of the combinations were:
- 'Heat Beats': hat with headphones which can play music or pchycological sound beats to heat the user
- 'Russian Head/Neck Cover': hat with a 'Russian' hat design, made of diver-type fabric
- 'Inter-Controlled Hat/Scarf': hat and scarf that can be worm seperate and also with a battery pack which gives heat and has flashing LED's
- 'Air Bubble Hat': hat with an air pocket inside the lining of the hat and fur to cover the air (and represent animals)
- A touch stimulated personal masseuse to keep the user warm. This idea was made by the college student in the group.
- A scaft that can wrap around to be a hat/head covering. This idea was proposed by me.
- A face/head covering which integrated heat warmers. This idea was proposed by the eye doctor.
- Mirrors are used to heat the users head/face/neck. This idea was proposed by the young child.
- Scarf that grows arms to warm the user up. This idea was proposed by the recent graduate.
- Electrically integrated heater to heat the user. This was was proposed by three different participants.
The second question for brainstorming was awesome as well! One of the participants had to leave the session due to some time conflicts, but there were still 5 members in the group who remained. One key observation that stood out to me was how there were much less total number of ideas, but a majority of the ideas were all creative!
Before staring the session, we once again played one improvisation game (Zip-Zap-Zop). This was meant to warm the users up some more from the brainstorming they just did.
This brainstorming session lasted 20 minutes with a total of 63 ideas, giving a IPM of 0.63 per person. This session was focused on the second question (how might we look good wearing head/ear/neck/face protection?) for 15 minutes and on the third question (how might we make head/ear/neck/face protection portable?) for the remaining 5 minutes. Once the ideas were gathered, they were sorted and voted again. This time, however, there was no combination of 3 or more ideas to make another.
The top 8 (yes 8 - there were a lot people liked) ideas were:
- A hat with your favorite breakfast build inside the linings. This idea was proposed by the college student.
- 'Smart Hat' - has integrated technology with Android. This idea was proposed by the college student.
- Inflatable hat which can be deflated for easy storage. This idea was suggested by the recent graduate.
- GPS tracking hat. This idea was proposed by the college student.
- Hat which reads brain signals and displays the corresponding emotion on the hat's screen display. This idea was proposed by the electrical engineer.
- A hat which lights up when needed. This idea was proposed by the college student.
- A hat which lets you smell comforting aromas. This idea was suggested by the recent graduate.
- A hook inside the coat to store your headwear for easy storage. This idea was proposed by the college student.
In conclusion, the session was amazing!