Assignment5

Structure and Ideation!

For some structured idea generation the SCAMPER method and HIT matrix were utilized. Looking closer at the SCAMPER results:

1. S - for substitute. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic of substitution. (things like energy source, material, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    sub.JPG This is a hat that stores and uses the sun's energy to activate internal heating pads.

2. C - for combine. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic of combining. (things like materials, products, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    comb.JPG These are ear muffs that combine to also be bluetooth headphones that can be controlled from your phone.

3. A - for adapt. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic of adapting. (things like purposes, products, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    adapt.JPG This is a hat that adapts from doggy ears to warm the ears even more in the cold days! It can simply attach to the hat to warm the ears.

4. M - for magnify/modify. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic of magnifying/modifying. (things like sizse, room, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    mag.JPG These are ear muffs that have storage room on each side.

5. P - for put to other use. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic putting my product to other uses. (things like function/perpose, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    put_use.JPGThese are ear muffs that have built in hearing aids for the hearing impaired.

6. E - for eliminate(simplify). In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic of simplifying my product.Here is the top idea from this section:
    elim.JPG This is a hat with detachable ear muffs.

7. R - for reverse/rearrange. In this portion of the method, I tried coming up with ideas on the topic reversing my product. (things like function/perpose, look, etc.) Here is the top idea from this section:
    rev.JPG These are ear muffs with reversed muffs to prevent damaging the hair/hairstyle.

Aside from the SCAMPER method, a HIT matrix was also used. For the HIT matrix, two products were selected: a typical 'beanie' hat and a smartphone. The areas of study for the beanie are indicated on top, and for the smartphone are indicated on the bottom. Here is the HIT matrix prior to completion, showing some of the cross-resulted products filled in.
HIT.JPG The top three products from this matrix resulted to be:

1. These are ear muffs that have an adjustable temperature distribution to the ears. This product is a result of the categories 'soft' from the beanie and 'touch screen' from the smartphone.
    soft_touch.JPG

2. This is a winter exercise hat and wrist wrap combination. The hat has internal speakers that are controlled by the wrist wrap. This idea was a combination of 'light' from beanie and 'rectangular' from smartphone.
    rect_light.JPG

3. These are ear muffs that are very thin, but still provide adequate warming to the ears. They are more centered toward a lighter winter conditions. This product is the result of 'thin' from beanie and 'rectangular' from smartphone.
    thin_rec.JPG

Looking back at the top ideas from the brainstorming session, I manipulated some ideas to make them feasible (please refer to previous thread entry for references of all numbers depicted below). From the first session:
1) Change to be have small electrically(solar) operated massage balls within the hat wall.
2) Leave as is.
3) Change to have the small warmers to be removable and rechargeable.
4) Change the mirror concept to a solar heating idea (a hat with a solar panel that heats the head).
5) Change to be a hat with attachable 'arms' to act as a scarf.
6) Change to be same as number (4) above.

Now looking at the second session:
1) Change to have a very thin pocket within the hat to store items (like food, aroma packets).
2) Change to having a small and thin display on the hat (electronically, removable and rechargeable).
3) Leave as is.
4) Leave as is (tracking can be done with app on phone).
5) and 6) Change to be the same as (2)
7) Change to be the same as (1)
8) Leave as is.

To sum up ALLLLLL the ideas from all the entries, the top 10 are (in no particular order):

1. Ear muffs with integrated hearing aids. This product would be greatly useful to any hearing impaired personnel. The required energy source would be removable and rechargeable.
    1.JPG

2. Ear muffs with integrated temperature adjustment. These would greatly increase the usability of the ear muffs in winter weather. The required energy source would be removable and rechargeable.
    2.JPG

3. Hat with attachable 'arms' to act as scarf. Initially I thought this to be a more kid centered product, but could expand to the adult population as well.
    3.JPG

4. GPS integrated hat. This product could potentially be great for parents to be aware of kids location. The GPS coordinates/location could be seen from an app on a smartphone.
    4.JPG

5. Hat with small display.This display could be recharged from the outlet, or possibly from the sun (solar energy)
    5.JPG

6. Hat with detachable ear muffs. This would provide flexibility for more winter conditions.
    6.JPG

7. Hat with small electronically operated/stimulated massage balls. (or alternatively slight electrical pulses. This would encourage wearing the headwear.
    7.JPG

8. Inflatable hat. This would greatly decrease the volume the hat takes up when deflated, and the air through the internals of the hat would provide extra heat protection.
    8.JPG

9. Exercise hat with the wrist wrap. This would be a useful alternative for people running in the winter time.
    9.JPG

10. Hat with 'doggy ears' to provide extra protection around the ears. This is a playful product which is more centered for children.
    10.JPG

I liked your detachable ear muff hat and dog ear hat a lot. I would totally buy the former, and could see kids just loving the later. I was also really impressed with your HIT matrix, and thought you used it to come up with some really interesting products.

Some real quick feedback: it would have been great if you could have introduced your theme or "how might we?" statements at the beginning of the blog. I'm new to your posts, so it wasn't until I was a couple of designs in that I realized you were looking at winter head wear specifically.

This last one isn't really a piece of blog or design feedback, but I noticed that you use passive voice in your writing fairly often. I think trying to turn those into active voice sentences instead could take your good writing to great!

Hey Danny! I think you came up with a lot of great feasible ideas that seem like they could easily be products! I know the headphone/speaker ear muff idea already exists. I liked your doggy ears ear muff idea. More silly ideas like this one would have been nice to see in your brainstorming. You did a good job of posting clear pictures, but maybe your pictures could be a little more informative.
I also did really like how you didn't only think about some of your past ideas, but went through each one to build on them. It would have been convenient for the reader if you reposted your old idea pictures for these descriptions though.

I like the color of your blog. The custom design makes your blog very interesting and excited. The round corner frame you used to format your picture make a unique, uniform and cute style of your blog. The drawings are neat and I guess you are the student in PDes3702 also, since I realized that you applied the skill l learned from that drawing class in your sketch. But if you can adjust the white balance of your picture, it will be nicer. The hat with solar panel on the top is interesting and useful. It inspired me that it can also provide electricity from the energy collected to supply the smartphone, ipod or something else. I notice that there are some blank cells on the HIT Matrix. I also use this table to help me generate the idea. I understand that it is hard to fill some of those blank with the existing products. Google and amazon really helps.