Assignment6

IDEA PROGRESSION!
Taking the top 10 ideas from the previous post, I proceeded to test them with a more elaborate NMF (novel, marketable, feasible) procedure. This procedure helped to narrow the top 10 into top 5 (half the size!).
Idea_Testing.jpg This 'flowchart' summorizes the NMF evaluation on the top 10 ideas.

MARKETABLE:
Starting at the bottom right of the triangle, I designed a survey to see how people perceive the top 10 ideas from before. These questions were (for each product idea) preceeded with a picture and short description of each idea:
  • After reading the description above, what do you think about this product?
  • What do you like/dislike most about this product?
  • Would you use this product?
  • Do you know someone who would use this product?
  • Do you see yourself owning/using this product?
  • Could you see yourself buying this product?
  • How much would you be willing to pay for this product?
  • If this new product was available today, how likely would you be to use it instead of competing products currently available from other companies?(5 choices were given as possible answers to this question)
15 people took the survey and gave some great feedback! From the responses, I was able to see each persons top 5 choices. I graphed the number of times that each idea was selected as one of top 5 ideas. Whichever ideas appeared most often in the top 5 choices were chosen to be the official 'Top 5'. the graph is desplayed below. The ideas are numbered and correspond to: (Note: all correspond to top 10 from previous post) 1 - Ear muffs with integrated hearing aids 2 - Ear muffs with integrated temperature controller 3 - Hat with attachable scarf 4 - Hat with GPS tracking technology 5 - Hat with thin electronic display 6 - Hat with detachable ear muffs 7 - Hat with electronically stimulated massage pulses 8 - Inflatable hat 9 - Exercise hat with 'wrist wrap' and internal speakers 10 - Hat with clippable doggy ears.

The results showed that the top 5 are (in no order): 2, 4, 7, 9 and 10.
Popularity_of_Ideas.jpg

NOVEL:
Now that the top 5 ideas were chosen, I was ready to do some 'novel' testing. The first part of this test involved benchmarking these top 5 ideas to existing similar products. I chose to do this with a 2x2 matrix for each product.

Ear muffs with integrated temperature controller
For this product, I chose to look at the cost and relative weight of each product. I did not find my product exactly, but found similar products (hat with heating oad, electronic ear muff, etc.)
idea1.jpg
Hat with GPS tracking technology
For this product, I chose to look at the cost and relative size of each product. I could not find a hat with an integrated GPS tracker, so I chose to look at popular personal GPS tracking units.
idea2.jpg
Hat with electronically stimulated massage pulses
For this product, I also chose to look at the cost and relative size of each product. I did not find my product exactly, so I chose to compare head massage products.
idea3.jpg
Exercise hat with 'wrist wrap' and internal speakers
For this product, I again chose to look at the cost and relative size of each product. I found products close to my idea (hats with integrated speakers) and chose to compare those.
idea4.jpg
Hat with clippable doggy ears
For this product, I chose to look at the cost and relative realistic appeal of each product. I found similar products to my idea and chose to compare head coverings with doggy/animal traits.
idea5.jpg
The second part of this test was to find one related patent to each of the products. I did not find any exact matches, but was able to compare some key concepts in each patent found.

Link: http://www.google.com/patents/CA2474536C?cl=en
Title: Apparatus and method for making an ear warmer and an ear warmer frame
Hat with GPS tracking technology
Link: http://www.google.co.in/patents/US20040113836
Title: Wearable satellite tracker
Link: http://www.google.nl/patents/US5767634
Title: Head mounted pulse action facial massager
Link: http://www.google.com/patents/WO2001049066A2
Title: Headphones with integrated microphones
Hat with clippable doggy ears
Link: http://www.google.com/patents/USD631641
Title: Winter hat with ear flaps

FEASIBLE:
The final portion of the evaluation was to test the feasibility of each of the top products. A rough manufacturing cost assessment can be approximated as 10x(material cost), where the cost of cotton= $0.79/lb and copper = $3.18/lb.

For this product the biggest issue will be getting enough power to the heaters. There can be approximated to be 1 pound of cotton and half a pound of copper (electronics). This gives a total cost of 10*[(1*0.79)+(.5*3.18)] = $23.80.

Hat with GPS tracking technology
For this product the biggest issue will be supplying enough power to the GPS tracker. There can be approximated to be 1 pound of cotton and 1/10 of a pound of copper (GPS unit). This gives a total cost of 10*[(1*0.79)+(.1*3.18)] = $11.08.

For this product the biggest issue will be supplying enough power to the massage units. There can be approximated to be 1 pound of cotton and quarter of a pound of copper (massage units). This gives a total cost of 10*[(1*0.79)+(.25*3.18)] = $15.85.

For this product the biggest issue will be supplying enough power to the hat as well as the wrist wrap. There can be approximated to be 1 pound of cotton and half of a pound of copper (all electronic components). This gives a total cost of 10*[(1*0.79)+(.5*3.18)] = $23.80.

Hat with clippable doggy ears
For this product the biggest issue will be material. There can be approximated to be 1.25 pound of cotton. This gives a total cost of 10*[(1.25*0.79)] = $9.88.

Right off the bat, your blog is great to look at! Your blog theme and structure of your post is very well done. I thought that you did a spectacular job with the survey. You had really good questions and had a lot of them which was gave you more information. It was smart to ask a lot of questions and then tally up the results the way you did.

I really liked your 2x2s. They were great visuals that were easy to read and understand. One possible aspect that could be improved is to actually have the prices on the 2x2s. Even though I know that one product is more expensive than the other it would be great to be able to compare the literal prices. Another thing that might be able to be improved is if you had listed what the numbers meant in your marketable section. That might make it a bit easier for the viewer to read and not mix them up.

I also really liked how you related the patents to one aspect of your designs, that tells me that you have really unique ideas! Overall, good job!

Great job on the organization! Your blog is not only clean to look at, but extremely well organized and thought out. Starting with the triangle diagram from Barry's lecture was also a great refresher since we haven't revisited the criteria for a couple days.Your 2x2s are especially neat, they convey the ideas without being overpowering, and I really appreciate that you did them on the computer as opposed to hand drawn.
It would be nice to read a little more information about the products you found already existing on the market that are similar to your ideas, although I know this was not necessarily required for the assignment. One more suggestion I would have would be to add your results of the patent search so we can not only see what is out there, but exactly what key things those patents focus on for those products.
Keep up the clean pictures and bold headers, they are working really well!

You were very thorough with your post and your visuals were really helpful and well done. For your 2X2s I think you could have added more content to them to make their purpose a little more useful. Although your blog is very clean and easy to follow it would have been helpful if you could have presented some sort of example or excerpt regarding your products just to give a better visual for those reading it to aid us in following your process.