Assignment7

THIS IS WHAT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO!!

The final selection process, the final thought, and the final push of the ideation phase. Now was the time to take the top 5 ideas from before and eliminate all but 1!

To do so, I started out making a Pugh Chart to compare the 5 concept ideas on 7 different categories:

1) NOVEL - Testing the novelty of the idea
2) MARKETABLE - Can you get people to buy it
3) FEASIBLE - How possible is the technology
4) CLEAR NEED - Is there a clear need in the market for it
5) COMPETITION - Do other products compare
6) MARKET OPPORTUNITY - Is there a market for the product idea
7) LENGTH OF USE - How long will the product be used for

To compare the five ideas in a Pugh Chart, I made the 'Exercise Hat with Wrist Wrap' the benchmark product. All other products would then be compared to this product. A plus meaning it has an advantage, and a minus meaning a disadvantage. The results of the Pugh Chart alone would show that 'Clippable Doggy Ears Hat' would be the best product. But upon further review, I decided that 'Ear Muffs with Heat Control' would be the product I would move forward with.
Pugh_Chart.JPG
Now that the product was decided, I had to give it a new name.... and SYMBOL! I started by making a mind map with Jan Haftek to browse for possible names symbols.
Mind_Map.JPG
From there I was inspired by the resistor sign. A slogan flowed from there, 'Resist the Cold'. I then explored even more to come up with the name and slogan: FireSide! The name implies warmth and comfort similar to that of the campfire, while still retaining the overall emphasis of a resistor.
FireSide.JPG
The final sketch model of the product idea with a dial style temperature control:
IMG_20131209_052953.JPG
I then decided to take this idea and practice giving a quick pitch (elevator pitch) in an elevator! Here is one of the attempt that was about 30 seconds long.
VID_20131209_063028.mp4

Your video is sideways! :S Otherwise it's really good. I like your storytelling style and it seems like a natural way to approach the subject. The logo you came up with is also really interesting. I like the stylized resistor. Honestly, I can't think of much of a critique. I suppose it would be nice to know if kids would respond better to your idea vs. a normal hat. Like a, "When I told these kids my idea, they were like 'yeah man, that's rad!'" or something to that effect. Overall, your delivery seems enthusiastic and genuine and I feel like I can really connect with you and your idea through the video. Also, a tiny bit more detail on the product would be nice. How is it powered and other minor technical details. Just a sentence or two more would be great.

You did a great job organizing all of your information and explaining each step of your project. You could benefit from a little more hierarchy, such as including bolded headers for different sections. I appreciate that you took the time to mind-map your product name, and it definitely helped you come up with a unique and professional product name.