« Golden Gate bridge to get suicide-prevention net | Main | Dozens killed on bus in Afghanistan »

Colin Powell endorses Obama

President Bush's first secretary of state, Republican Colin Powell, announced Sunday he is endorsing Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, the AP reported.

Powell said he belives Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world. He also criticized the tone of Republican presidential candidate, John McCain's campaign.

"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," said Powelll on NBC's "Meet the Press".

Powell clarified that his decision is not out of lack of respect or admiration for Sen. McCain.

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama," Powell said.

The Democratic party has been anticipating Powell's endorsement because of his strong foreign policy credentials, while Obama's are more weak. Powell, a Republican centrist, is popular among moderate voters.

Powell said he is disappointed over McCain's decision to have such a negative campaign, as well as his choice for his running-mate, Sarah Palin.