« Election volunteers get ready for recount | Main | Analysis on diversity »

Obama may need to say goodbye to beloved blackberry

The NY Times reported that President-elect Obama may need to give up one of the most important tools of communication in his life, his blackberry.

For years now, Obama has been relying on his blackberry for e-mail and keeping in touch.

On top of concerns about e-mail security, Obama faces the Presidential Records Act, which puts his correspondence in the official record and ultimately up for public review, and the threat of subpoenas. No decisions have been whether he could become the first e-mailing president, but aides said that is highly unlikely.

With all of the many privileges and perks of being the United State president, the chief executive of the United States is deprived by law of some of the other chief executives could not possibly work without. With that said, Obama plans on trying to bring the office into the 21st century; aides said he'd like to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so.

“His BlackBerry was constantly crackling with e-mails,? said David Axelrod, the campaign’s chief strategist. “People were generous with their advice — much of it conflicting.?

Obama is not the first president to find himself in this predicament.

Three days before his first inauguration, George W. Bush sent a message to 42 friends and relatives that explained his situation.

“Since I do not want my private conversations looked at by those out to embarrass, the only course of action is not to correspond in cyberspace,? Bush wrote from his old address, G94B@aol.com. “This saddens me. I have enjoyed conversing with each of you.?