Blog Prompt #8: Technology Readings

Fab – what is fab? Fab according to Neil Gershenfeld is the up and coming revolution of new personal fabrication. The question of personal fabrication is does it accomplish more than it rejects? The coming revolution of your life – personal lab tops, Ipods, cell phones, Playstations, CAD systems, and even the ways to find information of everyday life.

Gameboy.jpg

The new ways to work and play have a way of intergrading into our functioning system as human beings. You can now log on to your lab top on the grass outside of Rapson Hall to try to find a quick solution to a problem. Do you find that solution? Probably, but is it just a quick fix? Probably! These technologies of fab have made there way into our reality of insights into the nature of the universe itself. What happened to the old ways of going to the library, looking in the card catalog, and then going to the shelf to find it? They are gone. Now you do your research at home from e-journals, or you log on website find the catalog number, where it is, how you can get it, if it’s checked out, and at the point you may have to go the library or get it shipped right to your house. There are ideas of personal fabrications for ways of creating things just for you. They can make a lab top, Ipod, or any other device to be just the way you want it. There is no compromise to what you want.

Can anyone get a hold of you 24/7? Yes via e-mail, text messaging, black berry, On-star, and of course a cell phone (that no one leaves home without).

The Razor.gif

Are some of these technological advances good? Yes. Are they all? No. The technology that we have today is going to help find a cure for cancer, prevent spreading of AIDS, create a larger life span, and even someday do all your work for you. This is the separation between personal fabrication “toys? and what can do the work of their “real? machines? Do we all need toys – of course. These machines are merely a brain which we get as potluck from nature. But a mind capable of realization can inspire a technology, and humiliate the current one. I will be the first to tell you – I have a cell phone, Ipod, Ipod car adapter, lab top, printer, Blackberry (for work), and of course a credit card. Is it ever good enough? No, I now want the copy, fax, printer and scanner all-in-one. I also want the new Ipod nano red, and I want the new car with GPS built right in.

Ipod Nano Red.jpg

What has brought this new push? We have desired it, and the world “needs? it. Desire brings the new need. I do not believe the desire for more will ever go away.

Building, is a building, is a building? No. The old ways of pencil and paper are gone. Can you turn in a paper handwritten? No. Can you present a client with a hand drawn plan? Most likely no. Buildings are not being designed the same way anymore, it is much easier to type a few numbers, make a few clicks, and then hit print. This is creating problems in the long run people spend less time thinking of ideas, and more time using Google searches. Structures are not being built the same way either. The new advancements of technology have made it easy to lift a twenty-five ton beam, or lift a play set over a house with a helicopter, or even fly half way across the world to see a new design technique.

The last thing to keep in mind is “what mad has made is very, very manifestation of God.? I will let you determine – is technological advancements superior for our lives

Blog Prompt #7: Technolopies

Technopolies alter the nature of our community.

National-Cathedral.jpg

The National Cathedral alters the communities surrounding it because it represents a transformation of the size and culture around the cathedral. The cathedral brings a priority to the community leadership, innovation and community wealth, and put creative lasting social change. Society can use the resources from the cathedral to strengthen their community.

Solider Field has the modern repetition using technology, with the earlier construction of columns and the appearance of a gateway or entrance way into the stadium.

Solider field.jpg

Blog Prompt #6: Mathematics

Palmanova is related to mathematics because it is the only complete radial plan to be built in Italy in the 16th Century. The frame is a nine-sided polygon, but the central piazza is a hexagon.

Palmanova.jpg

palmanova 3.jpg

Miletus is based on the Greek grid system. Miletus is designed as a grid system with x,y coordinates, based on Descartes. Before Descartes there was the representation of Euclidean vs. Cartesian, based on mathematics.

Miletus Plan - cropped.jpg

Both of these cities were based on forms of mathematics. The grid system and layout were based on coordinates, geometric shapes and figures, along with different forms of design. Mathematics is visible in many design aspects around the world.

Blog Prompt #5: Oppositions

How are we affected with oppositions? We are affected everyday of our life with oppositions such as what to do in the morning -- shower or eat breakfast, study or go to the bars, and also eat or sleep. These oppositions would affect me in positive and negative ways. If I shower instead of eating breakfast I will be hungry and then be less focused on the classroom discussion, but if I eat breakfast and not shower I will have no friends in my class – because I will STINK. If I study I would get a good grade on my test, but if I go the bars I will have fun and not worry about my test. If I sleep on an empty stomach it is more than likely I will wake up to a growling stomach. Your choices are all around you; you pick which way to take everyday of your life.

As I was at the doctor’s office getting treatment I went to the desk, checked in, sat down on the chair, and waited for my named to get called. Many other patients did the same process, but the problem is that some people needed care much faster than others. I was the norm, in pain but not dying. A student approached the Boyton health desk, checked in and sat down just as I did. The student sat next to me and everytime someone called a name he'd say “what??, “Who did she call??, “huh??, etc. After this went on for about 20 minutes I decided to ask him what was wrong. He told me that he had lost all of his hearing, and could not hear anything or at least very little – somehow he must have made out what I was saying. The point is every patient needs different care and has a different response time. This to me is an opposition that the doctor’s office needs to work on. By involving a number system that can light up on the wall I would not have heard “huh? or “what? every two minutes. By implementing the number system it will cross the opposition of checking so in case a patient does not hear his or her name/number, it will then be lit up on the wall. By applying the number system the patient is also will not feel a challenge or a burden to another patient.

DSCN0820.jpg

By adjusting the designed environment to meet the needs of the patient it will create a balance for the nurses, doctors, and patients.

Blog Prompt #4: Things, Frameworks, Clockworks, Phenomena

Landscaping is a thing, framework, clockwork, and a phenomenon. Landscaping helps improve your house for resale, looks, and give a home your personal appearance. What is my major? You guessed it - landscape design.

Landscaping is a thing that is matter, weight and mass while displacing space. Landscaping can be measured in square feet, tree caliber, or shrub size. Landscaping takes shape to a house, to an open space, and to a natural area. Landscapes are arranged to relate to their surroundings, while making a key area within the landscape.

Children's Garden cropped.jpg

Frameworks are a fixed number of things in invariant relationships. Landscaping frameworks are relevant because of seedlings, saplings, or the natural environment multiplying in fixed numbers with an unknown relationship.

Pergola cropped.jpg

Clockworks are frameworks in which a fixed number of things start with a given set of mutual relationships. Clockworks go through changes in a periodic manner and keep returning to the original set of relationships. Clockworks are important in landscaping due to the season changes. When the seasons change landscape material turns from small branches with buds to leaves with flowers then to changing colors, losing of leaves, and then the cycle continues.

Royal Ridge Cropped.jpg

Phenomena is ‘to show, be seen, appear’ as an idea of perfection. A phenomenon is teleology, the study of the evidences of design or purpose in nature, which keeps structure in our world. Landscaping phenomena’s are behavioral characteristics with a rate of change.

walkway cropped.jpg

Landscape installation is an awarding identity to a house or building. Landscaping is a true phenomenon.

Blog Prompt #3: 'Genius Loci'

When taking a vacation you think where is the nicest place you can go for the cheapest. After looking through the Expedia deals my family and I were settled on Cancun. Cancun was cheap, fun, and a warm place to spend with the ladies in my family. When arriving in Cancun it was apparent their world was destroyed. Hurricane Wilma had roared through Cancun with 144 mph winds leaving thousands of destroyed homes and people stranded.

beach - after hurricance.jpg

The lowest recorded pressure in the Atlantic Ocean was recorded during the threats of Hurricane Wilma. Cancun became a meaningful place to me because a natural phenomenon came through and destroyed their town, but they moved on and recreated “character?. “Character? is determined by how things are. Horizontal and vertical characteristics of nature were refocused on the natural environment and their economy.

Cancun - after Hurrican Wilma.jpg

Man-made places are related to nature. Cancun is related to the citizens and frequent visitors in a more prevalent way. It was a natural destruction that they now have an understanding of. The people in Cancun complement the situation by adding necessities that they originally did not have. Cancun also symbolizes nature by replacing palms and rebuilding the sand beach.

cancun view.jpg

When on vacation it is noticeable that the rebuilding is still in process, but is coming along. The tourists are back to help their economy. I have included a picture of the rebuilding. The beach is still under construction but is useable and is taking form. The drop off of sand is a still about 6’ but the ocean is now accessible.

beach view.jpg

The palm trees before Hurricane Wilma were about 60’, but now the tallest is about 20’. Those palm trees were meaningful to many citizens and visitors and will take a while be significant. I can not imagine if this destruction happened in my hometown or on campus, and I feel the pain of everyone involved.
aww.jpg

Blog Prompt #2: Social Design Issue

As observing a social design issue in the cities the first thing that came to mind is our way of movement in downtown. Downtown Minneapolis creates areas of separation due to the skyway tunnel system. The skyway tunnels are meant to connect the city of downtown Minneapolis in a controlled climate atmosphere. The skyway tunnels sit a level above ground and are about 7 miles in length. When walking on the ground level it is very intimidating to look above at people looking down on you.

Skyway System.jpg

From my experience in downtown people do not only use the skyways for winter, which was its original intension, but also for summer days. To the average person it feels as a class difference from sidewalks to skyways. I love the skyway system, but it does take some time to get used to and at first can be confusing to the average person. Frequent visitors to downtown are more likely to use the skyway system.

Minneapolis.jpg

A way to improve the skyway system is to make it clear that an average person is allowed to use the tunnel system. Intentions are for everyone to use it, but when walking through the skyway system in my jeans and sweater I felt unwelcome. Many professional employees were moving throughout the system. The skyway system is the most striking difference in downtown which creates a unique atmosphere for people unfamiliar to the area.

1240_b1.jpg

Blog Prompt #1: Midtown Global Market

As I drove by the Midtown Global Market, turned into the parking lot, and then found a parking spot, cars and people were all around. A lot of people were moving around the area, including many bicyclists and walkers. I felt the energy, more so kinetic energy, as I approached the Global Market. The market showed potential for change. The surrounds were under construction and in the process of being revamped. Many construction workers were moving through the site which disrupted the flow around the market. Multiple forms of energy were coming from a variety of people with multiple backgrounds – enthusiastic, willing to try new things, as well as a few angry onlookers. As I was walking along the site people were very curious as to what the market was offering. When reviewing the way people approached the site many commuters were flowing through the two bus transfers with a few people coming from the small amount of bike parking on site. The Global Market’s construction took a lot of energy from many different laborers and engineers. As you will see in the vertical mixed use diagram the development is more than a market.

Vertical Movement.jpg

Within the development it will include retail, midtown greenway, Allina Commons, Chicago Lofts, Midtown Exchange apartments, and also an area for Hennepin County. When all areas of the market are complete there will be a variety of people within the site which will change the feel of the market. The overall development took about 12 years to be build, with many years of debate.

I do believe the area for the greenway should have more attention. Why weren't more bike racks placed on site if they are opening it up as a biker friendly area? When all construction is complete will the area flow as they would like?

Midtown Exchange.jpg