« Architecture with no restrictions | Main | Social Design Issue - Going Green (a little) »

environment 1 to 2: different affects and their reasoning

When thinking of the designed environment I generally think about my surroundings and the routine I go through everyday. One of the best conclusions I can draw from the designed environment around me is how my like has changed since moving to Minneapolis. I am from a smaller city, but I lived in a township of the city so it was pretty much like a little town with no stores, only a golf course and a gas station, and a few other local businesses. Where I live in Minneapolis is also like a little community, Stevens Community if you are familiar with it. We have a gas station, lots of little local stores, there is a bakery down the road and banks etc.

I think a good example of a designed environment would be the U of Mn campus. For the most part I believe this campus is a pedestrian campus. Yes there are places to park and streets on campus to drive on but would a person really take that option. Maybe if you had to go from one bank to the other in less than fifteen minutes. None-the-less, if you want to make it anywhere on campus in a decent timely fashion walking and biking are going to be the best options.
bikesafety.jpg
http://www.msstate.edu/web/express/archive/2007-09-28/bikesafety.jpg

So where do you park? well you can't park for free, each lot has a specific rate they charge per hour. And how do you get to these parking ramps? you have to weave through the pedestrian traffic through campus until you get to a ramp and hope that it is not full by the time you get there.
Download file

What do most of use students do if we live off campus? we ride the bus or ride a bike.