presentations

Reactions on presentations:::

Honars presentations---
The group who had the idea of changing the materials and other systems to Riverbend Commons, had good intentions but I think that by changing all the windows and other systems creates waste by having all those items in the landfill. It would be nice if there would be a way to add window film and make appliances run more efficiently in some other way then by replacing them. It is amazing how much water, electricity, and other resources can be reduced my switching to energy efficient and energy star certified appliances. Especially in lower income areas and communities, it only makes sense to install appliances which cost less to use which in turn would save more money for these families.

The group who created the video (which wouldn't play, but I watched on youtube) did a good job with choosing the pictures and music for their video. I loved all the pictures at the beginning and then the music and tone of the video switching change, really caught my attention. With this group and some others, I am still not clear what they are proposing. I found that the same with groups in my section. I feel like some of the groups just found websites and other programs that are already in place and just reiterated the importance of those sites and how we can change the outcome of the goals by using them.

It was really interesting to listen to the presentations not only in class but also in section. With all the good ideas, it would be nice to be able to put them into action. Maybe taking the project one step further would be mailing/contacting a representative or someone with power to actually fund the ideas we had, and talking to them about our ideas and how we think we can help. I so want to help, and feel connected to my goal, but am at a loss as to how to really help. My good thoughts and intentions are there, so if the opportunity does present it self to me, I will get on -board and do what I can to help initiate change.

volunteering

My volunteering at ACES is enlightening and fun. I am learning that I am a relatively shy person in front of seventh and eighth graders. I never expected myself to be so. It is awesome to help students who are really interesting in learning.

The days are structured so that when I arrive there is choice time for the students, which I think is there to help them unwind a bit. After that it is the ACES curriculum, if there is one for the day, and then homework help. The homework help session is often very productive because there are multiple volunteers there to help the students. I would usually work one-on-one with one student with the homework they have to finish.

While helping a student with their math homework, they were faced with the option to either go to the gym or computer lab or stay or finish their homework. The student chose to stay and work on their homework with me, which was nice because that made me feel, as my time with the students was productive and well received. Taking the time to explain concepts in either math, geography or history is fun and really helped the students understand the concepts and to reinforce the importance of what they are learning.

Other times when the students did not have homework, we would play educational games, such as flash cards, which was fun because it was made into a fast paced game.

I am finding that the students are respectful and gracious that we are there to help them one-on-one to finish their homework. Talking to them about going to college and what they want to do after high school is really fun as well. It is a community school and I do not know if I feel that is part of the reason why they are more interested in learning or not. The students are very respectful of not only the volunteers and teachers, but of their peers as well.

My experience with ACES has been nice. I enjoyed helping the students and acting as a positive role model for them.

monroe.jpg

universal education report covers

Cover 1 copy.jpg

cover 2 copy.jpg

cover 3 copy.jpg

cover 4 copy.jpg

cover 5 copy.jpg

*These covers were created as booklet cover ideas for the millennial goals term project. Each cover was designed to elicit different feelings from the viewers.

blog 6 ::: research project deliverables

While researching ways to present the ideas and research compiled by myself and my teammates, I found some inspiration in creating a campaign, like corporations do for marketing their products and ideas. This campaign would include text, images and video in different formats such as: videos, post cards, billboard advertisements and a research summary formated in a user friendly magazine format. Images selected would be of much importance, as if too many images are used and too many large numbers in statistic format are thrown out there, one can become de-sensitized to them.

Places I found inspiration to create a campaign for our millennial goal:

http://logopond.com/resources/articles/
http://www.cmykmag.com/site.cfm?page_id=95§_id=22&Issue=39

Environments affecting who I am and strive to be.

I am affected by the built environment in a way which my thoughts, actions and feelings are different in different places and situations. While I am at my apartment, I feel relaxed and am a positive person who likes to have a good time and do what I enjoy.

CBP1015356_Veer.JPG

The environment of my apartment encourages me to be to be social with visitors I may have and independent if I am alone. I feel creative in my apartment, as I am surrounded by things that allow me to use my creativity, such as my art supplies, sewing machine and other items. I am happy with how my apartment makes me feel.

While at work, my office encourages me to be productive and part of a team, collaborating to achieve the best product. I work at a company which values communication and collaboration, and the built environment most definitely reflects those values. This environment supports who I am as a person. I enjoy working with others to find the best outcome for situations.

hatt01.jpgFF80639E-FED3-4C2C-AE80CEEA29EE9330.jpgLarge.jpg

While at school, the built environment encourages me to learn, or does it? I would say in some cases it is distracting and directed towards one type of learning style. Why not try different teaching methods to engage all students in activities? Different teaching styles could be integrated with each other to be more affective in engaging all students, especially at the University level, as we are paying a lot of money for our education and are hindered by our environment.

BXP0036732_Veer.JPG Yuck.

Collaborative Environment

If I were released from the constraints of the architecture school program, and was not concerned about receiving a college education and getting a job...if none of that really mattered to me...I would become an advocate doing unto others as I would want them to do unto me. I believe the world can be a better place if we take time to get to know our neighbors or just in casual collisions with people we encounter through out our day.

BLP0011131_Veer.JPG

I want to make a difference by helping someone get an education, a job, or become satisfied with their life. How does this have an impact on my environment? I would create an environment where people were encouraged to strive for what they desire most in life, and this would hopefully create an atmosphere that would foster interaction between the people in my environment.

DVP4983141_Veer.JPG

In my environment, there would be less competition and more working for a greater good. I realize "healthy" competition can be a good thing as it can act as a catalyst in wanting to strive to be a better person, it can also be damaging to one mentally. I would also want to help children, possibly by teaching them that they are the future and that they should set their hopes and dreams high, and strive for them. Teaching others and helping others is artistic. Not everyone has the desire to or feels comfortable helping others strive for the best.

RBP9019347_Veer.JPG

Education

Selection of Quotes:

The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It's as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today. The true entrepreneur is a doer, not a dreamer
Nolan Bushnell

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
Mohandas Gandhi

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.
Mother Teresa

Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
Mother Teresa

The great teacher is not the man who supplies the most facts, but the one in whose presence we become different people.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Children are apt to live up to what you believe of them.
Lady Bird Johnson

Images:

DVP4958501_Veer.JPG

CBP0038225_Veer.JPG

CBP0038220_Veer.JPG

UCP0002645_Veer.JPG

I realize this sequence of pictures is not always the case and many paths are taken to become a productive member of society, education is most likely the root of this success.

Block E- A social design issue

blocke.gif

Block E (Entertainment), by trying to “clean up� the neighborhoods, residents were kicked out and now it is unwelcoming to former residents. For image, opera and classical music is played to avoid large crowd gatherings, which seems very intentional. There is no seating, its all for commerce. By not being able to sit and relax in the hallways it becomes very stark and cold. The business aspect of Block E has taken away from the neighborhood feel to the area. It draws it main crowd at night, and for many, that is not the time they want to be out and about. Why not encourage interaction of people? Why does it have to be so cold and unwelcoming? Is it for crimes sake? Or for money? I would argue, it is for money, and while many things are done today with the driving force being money, that is definitely a design issue. The design of the culture of Block E needs to be for all people, not just people spending money at night. By adding benches and encouraging people to engaged with one other the start of a more friendly are could be born.

Transormation through the City

The idea of transfer, flow and transformation of the city to me is one of changes through out history which a city undergoes. The idea of starting from open land, the creation of buildings and or structures to house individuals to do their work, creates an image of being productive and wanting to contribute to society. Every city flows in a different way. I think that all cities, near or far in location to one another, have a fluidity which is unique to their city. Some cities have an energy which is high and full of inspiration and wanting to be productive. There are certain patterns each city can create which allows the user of the city to flow and transform for themselves. The idea of how cities connect with the rest of the environment and how that transforms and flows is disconnected in some cases. While the city is essential for businesses and corporation to function now, if attitudes and ideas of how a transformation in the landscape could be made that would be more fluid with the natural way the earth is, that could have changed the energy and the way people were impacted by the city and all things associated with it.

DVP256010C_Veer.JPG

PDP0945542_Veer.JPG