Assignment 1

I knew that I wanted to create a new cookie with an "ethnic" flavor, since most of the cookies that I have been exposed to in my life have been traditional, comfortable, grandma's recipe. While out for dinner with a friend this weekend I ordered sushi, and thought, "hey, there could be some inspiration here!" Raw fish and cookies?--Yuck. But the spices and flavors in Asian cuisine: wasabi, ginger, sesame, fennel, peanut, cloves, curry...these could work! Then I thought of the buttery, almond taste of fortune cookies...and my combination was born:
Butterscotch Wasabi Almond cookies.

Recipe:

1/4 cup of softened butter
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of almond flour
1/2-3/4 cup (depending on desired hotness) of salty wasabi green peas (ground in food processor) I used the brand Hapi
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil (add more if needed)
1 11 oz. bag of butterscotch chips
parchment paper
a chopstick or pen or something with a small circular end to poke a hole

image_2.jpg

Preheat the oven to 355 degrees.

First, grind the wasabi green peas in a food processor until finely ground

Grind Peas.jpg

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well.
Then, gradually add the softened butter, 1 egg and sesame seed oil and kneed with hands to create the dough.
image_1 2.jpg

Next, form 1 inch round balls of dough using hands.

image_2 2.jpg

Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Using a chopstick or other round (clean!) end of an object, make holes in the center of the balls that go down about 1/3 of the width.

image 2.jpg

Then, tap on a little bit of the egg yolk onto the top of each ball with a finger. You can get creative here and make whatever design you please.
image 2.jpg

Place the cookies in the oven for 13 minutes.
image_3 2.jpg
In the last minute of baking, add 1 or 2 butterscotch chips inside the hole of each cookie to allow them to melt.
image_1.jpg
Let them cool for 15 minutes, and enjoy a delicious spicy, sweet, buttery concoction not for the conventional cookie eater!

My first try at this recipe didn't involve the use of eggs or butter. Instead, I used almost 15 teaspoons of toasted sesame seed oil to bind together the dry ingredients. The result was a dry, crumbly mess. It was also much too salty. I realized that since the wasabi green peas already had salt in them, I didn't need to add in an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

image.jpg

I experimented with adding sweetness with white chocolate chips as well, but thought that the butterscotch added a more unique flavor to it and brought out the butter in the dough.

This looks interesting, Madeline! I appreciate that you provided a candid narrative of your experience.
I see that you weren't able to get the pictures to orient the right way. Is this because you directly uploaded the images from your device? Perhaps you could try uploading all the photos to a 'new folder' on your desktop, rotate them and then try uploading them into your blog, versus uploading directly from your device. Good effort overall!

Wasabi is definitely not the first thing you think of when you think "cookie." I appreciate your process of taking from what is familiar when it comes to the traditional sense of a cookie and how to come up with something new! These are not flavors one would expect would go well together, but there was a nice savory taste that paired well with the sweetness. We spoke in class and you had mentioned how you made the first batch and they tasted awful, but then you went back tweaked the recipe slightly and the taste became bearable. I appreciate that you didn't just accept their unfortunate flavor, going back and reworking is an important part of design. Maybe this project would have been a little stronger if you had come up with a variety of ideas and tried a few of them instead of choosing one and making minor adjustments. Overall, great job and good documentation of your process!

Hey Madeline.

First off, your blog is visual appealing- I like it!
Now, to the cookies....
I love your thought process in terms of how you came to making sushi cookies. Those flavors are very distinct and you did a nice job of combining them.

There is one big thing I saw about your blog that you could improve. Your pictures are turned every which way, and I have to keep turning my head to view them. That is just a small minor issue I saw.

Good job!
-Dan