Assignment 2

I began my humorous design thinking process by watching a stand-up comedy show by Louis C.K. and other funny series like Arrested Development. Watching a stand-up show made me think about improvisation and random association between jokes. Both got me laughing and in a playful mood and I began exploring the silly parts of my mind....

I have a large chalkboard and thought that it would be the perfect fun way to display my jumbled thoughts and associations:

image-1.jpg

I came up with and drew 10 design ideas for winter-related products inspired by the associations I made on my map.

Silly Sketches for Winter Product Design Ideas:

No need to buy big backs of ice to spread all over the driveway/walkway! Do it when you walk in & out of the house
boots.jpg

For the sporty type who wants to ski and snowboard on their trip to the snow hill but doesn't want to lug around so much equipment
skiisnowboard.jpg

For those who can't wait for the new year! Wear throughout the whole holiday season
image-2.jpg

It's such a hassle walking back up those gigantic snow hills! Not anymore
sled.jpg

A modern, technological Christmas tree. Songs whistle through the branches
tree.jpg

Christmas lights are such a big deal to install and take down. These stay up all year and can be turned on/swapped out with different colors for every festivity
window.jpg

This rubber wipe runs along the lines of the car to easily sweep off the snow
carwipe.jpg

Hands free coffee pocket keeps beverage warm and upright on your way to class or work
coat.jpg

A fun festive toy!
football.jpg

No need to roll balls over and over again to achieve the perfect base. Stackable circle molds in different sizes for the perfectly shaped snowman
snowman.jpg

After completing this exercise, the three sub-themes of "winter" that I have chosen are:
1. Cozy clothing
2. Hot beverages
3. Family Gatherings

Madeline,

You are the one with the chalk board mind map! first off let me say that has inspired me to want to cover my entire art workshop with chalkboards, but I digress. the fun you had with your mind map seems to be present throughout the blog and I think that puts the reader in a better mood and therefore more receptive to wacky ideas. the ideas you have presented are quite original, however I feel they could be strengthened with the addition of colour. I realize the sketches are just that, sketches, but perhaps a little more cleanliness would lend to a more clear conveyance of the idea. Since we have already addressed the cropping situation in class, that doesn't need to be hammered any more, but there is that. I do appreciate the text in between the images, I feel they help guide the reader along and strengthen the overall appearance of the blog.
I look forward to using a "countdown to new years hat" soon, perhaps making a mock up myself!

Madeline,

ps, I am glad others out there appreciate Louis CK as well

Yoooo, right away I just want to say that once that christmas tree with the iPod dock is created, I need one of those. That is an awesome idea for a christmas party especially if you had a christmas tree in the middle of the dance floor with subwoofers. You're a genius. I also really liked the use of the chalk board for your mind map. That was really creative outside of using regular white paper like most people used.

Hi Madeline,
You really left a big mark for yourself for your mind map with your choice of colorful chalks on the board, very inspiring!

I also noticed that you had more drawings than words which was quite easy to follow, I am taking lots of inputs to frame my mind maps in future in a better way!

Your 10 product ideas were interesting. Except for the salt dispensing boots and coffee cup holder jacket, others looked unique as I skimmed through others blogs in our class. It would have really made its presence if you had used color drawings and some serious sketchings. Also, because these are drawings on a paper doing a quick color scan would be much better for presentation, not having to worry about cropping and resolution to the most part. Overall, your blog presentation starts at super high level and fades down as we reach the end and I am sure you will pull back that magic in your forthcoming blogs!

-- Shiv

Hello!

First off, Louis CK and Arrested Development are excellent ways to get creative, both are awesome! I really enjoyed your mind map, I think the color, sketches, and uniqueness of it gave your blog post an amazing, eye catching start; a great way to start a blog.

I think your sketches could be improved through this use of color. Also, as barry mentioned in lecture tuesday, it would be beneficial to spend a little more time with uploading the photos to the blog. Some of them look uncropped and not centered. Otherwise, excellent job coming up with 10 unique and creative ideas ideas.

-Jimmy